How to restore your node wallet (updated)

I am trying to recover my wallet from my seed phrase using “Blixt wallet” but I’m getting the error:

rpc error: code = Unknown desc = word <word> isn't a part of default word list

also, I have tried to import with “blue wallet” but cannot find it.

Do you have any suggestions?

You have the wrong seed words or you are trying to recover another seed.
Umbrel LND is a 24 words seed, aezeed format, here you have the words list.

Hey DarthCoin - I’m following these instructions trying to restore my wallet and channels but am getting this message when I copy the file into my Terminal CL. It is saying there is no such file or directory. Any ideas why? I’m entering “scp” followed by a space and then dragging and dropping the file from its location

I would suggest that is much better to just start a new nodeid, new seed with your newly installed umbrel node.
Do the recovery funds in Blixt mobile app (see point 3) with your old seed + channels.backup.
Is always good to start fresh a new node.

Or if you still want to reuse the old one, just copy the file channels.backup into your node mSD or SSD and make the restore commend from there.

I can find a place where i can enter 24 words in version 0.5. Need help)

Lightning Node app always starts from creating a new wallet, without options

3 Likes

It’s looking like with the latest update that it will not prompt me for a seed phrase when I launched up from scratch. How do I enter in my phrase once the node is synced? Also, my main TOR address changed, which I may mean my channels break (no way for my peers to know my new address). I’ve never heard of updating a peer’s TOR address, so I am dearly hoping my node’s LND TOR can be restored too.

2 Likes

Hi @VinnieG,

Can you help share how to build this GUI to get the channel.backup file from Umbrel?
I can still access my current Umbrel and need to restore lightning channels with Blixt mobile method.
I am a beginner of Linux cli and still not able to figure out how to access this with command line “/home/umbrel/umbrel/lnd/data/chain/bitcoin/mainnet/channel.backup”

Appreciate your help. Thanks.

I am in the same situation. It seems like they never bothered with putting a recovery feature into umbrel just the ability to make new. In order to recover from seed you have to use the command line and the problem with this is the instructions are not clear about how to even do that. For example the command line on my computer or on the raspberry pi? If I am supposed to use the command line on my raspberry pi then how do I get there? All I have used to interact with the raspberry pi is the web browser on a computer. To add to the confusion when the instructions say to move the backup file, I don’t know if I am moving to the SD card on the raspberry pi or the hard drive.

Should I downgrade to an older version of umbrel so that the recovery instructions are valid?

1 Like

Right, and then they put a 60-second timer on the Umbrel login via pi, so my gigantic password (a b64 sha256 hash) which is easy to copy-paste takes too long on the command line. Gonna have to change to a short password to get into the pi command line.

I flashed the SD card to version 0.4.18 and in that version there is a “recovery” option upon getting started. I am in the process of trying to recover this way now.

I have my 24-word phrase and a very recent encrypted channels.backup file. I am trying to get my seed restored onto my node. I can SSH into the Pi, use the terminal commands, and modify files, but I cannot figure out where the seed goes or how to use the AEZEED mnemonic to get the hex seed.

I found ~umbrel/scripts/backup/restore, but I get a “could bot copy…file folder does not exist,” like it’s trying to put the channels.backup in the wrong area.

Hi, just post my help topic but I found this one. In my case I still have my SSD working but maybe the SD is not, not sure, try to investigate. I flashed a new SD card with Umbrel but didn’t start it up as it says in the tutorial that it will automatically format my SSD and I don’t have a spare one to clone it and experiment.
I tried to clone the SD and boot but it’s still not booting, not getting an IP at all.
Will Umbrel really format the SSD if it has already all the valid data on it and start with a freshly flashed SD?
EDIT: got the answer and confirm it, it’s not formatting the SSD if you flash a new OS on the SDcard. Everything was back working after a few minutes + catch up on block sync.

Was your recovery attempt successful after re-flashing your SD card to 0.4.18? I’ve considered this myself but just haven’t followed through yet.

1 Like

where do they go then? My ssd died and I’m trying to recover my funds in channels with the Blixt method but after I put the channel.backup and seed phrase in it didnt detect the channels. I followed the method to a tee but I’m only seeing onchain funds. (its been over 24 hours and I’ve had several peers force close for which I’ve been notified by amboss)

CC @DarthCoin

I’ve been attempting to recover for weeks. I have my seed phrase and recent channel.backup file (an unencrypted old one and most current encrypted one). This ought to be sufficient to recover the node, but I cannot figure out how the most recent version is supposed to work with recovery. Reverting to an older version doesn’t work without wiping the SSD, which means yet another 10-day sync. I figured out I needed to mkdir a folder to get ~umbrel/scripts/backup/restore to attempt to work, but that still didn’t actually result in restoring the node either.

How does v0.5.0+ want us to restore?

Method #1 at the top of this thread does not work with v0.5.0 or v0.5.1, even accounting for the folder reorganization (ie: /data/.lnd/ is now /app-data/lightning/data/lnd/data/chain/bitcoin/mainnet/), but I feel that the method should at least be close or modifiable to work on the new version.

Has anyone restored a node on v0.5.0+?

@fresheyes take a look here: Recovering Wallet on Umbrel 0.5.0

No not at all. I ended doing the Blitz mobile wallet method and that worked for everything except for 2 channels, the is probably due to having an outdated channel.backup file

Is it possible that the path changed in recent versions? For me it’s
/home/umbrel/umbrel/app-data/lightning/data/lnd/data/chain/bitcoin/mainnet/channel.backup

@melchizedek v0.5.0+ have the path in the location you specified.

@mayank @lukechilds Hi,
unfortunityl my umbrel not ran into an error and i needed to install a new node. The problem is that i didnt get my backup file from the channels. Could you send them to me as mentioneted in the post ?

best regards