How to restore your node wallet (updated)

Hey @Fatjoetan!

We introduced the restore UI in the latest Umbrel release. Can you try to restore your channels using this new method?

Please keep me posted!

2 Likes

@DarthCoin , my Umbrel went down at the end of February '22. I used the Blixt method to recover my channels and all of them except 1 were sucsessfully closed. If you remember, I had to activate ToR in my Blixt settings for my channels to start closing. I guess this is because the channels were opened using LN+ with .onion addresses?

Either way, Iā€™m wondering if you have any suggestions as to how I can close that final channel. Iā€™m currently in contact with the LN user on the other end of the channel, and his node went down in Feb. '22, about 15 days before mine went down. Weā€™re thinking that there might have been some kind of problem with our backup files.

@louneskmt , Now that Umbrel has a more user friendly lightning node restoration process, would it be possible for me to restore my original LNd node on Umbrel (same seed phrase I used for recovery with Blixt)? Is there any way to extract specific portions of channel backup files from Umbrel?

Thanks again for your time!

In Blixt settings, did you make sure to activate ToR?

Iā€™m trying to restore my umbrel wallet. I have tried Blixt, bluewallet and sparrow method. Blixt and sparrow only show my transactions up to a specific date and a balance of 0, bluewallet also shows the more recent transactions, but it does not show the taproot change addresses that were used. Any sugggestions?

1 Like

hi,
you wrote: ā€œDonā€™t move any funds in onchain until you restore all your channels. That could break the anchor shit.
Just wait to be closed and funds returned.ā€

i think that is what happened to me.
i reinstalled my broken umbrel with seed, recovered channels using the new backups. it flashed a green sign: channel recovery iniciated. once your channels start closing, it will take up to 2 days for the funds to arrive in your bitcion onchain wallet.

after more than 2 years it still does not show the funded amount.
on the umbrel ligntning node under bitcoin wallet and lightnig wallet
it shows payment channels
closing (in red)
when i click on the details it shows status closing, channel type public channel, local balance 0, remote balance 0, channel capacity 248990 sats, remote public key
0275ā€¦

i have tried to put the seed into different wallets, in some i can see my 248990 sats but i do not know how to get it back.
please help
fred

Hey guys, maybe my guide from this thread can help you or at least direct you to the solution: Force close LND channel but money did not go into wallet - #17 by techiejum

Have u been able to recover these 2-year fund?

no, even the support person from umbrel , who was very responsive, could not retrieve the funds

So you now consider the fund lost?

Hey Fred @manfreddavao , I had messaged you but didnā€™t think it went through,

Your Lightning Node went down before we had automated recovery unfortunately,

As you can see from our time posted on Automated Recovery that makes this process easier, thatā€™s basically when they began:

It wasnā€™t available when yours went down, only after this time are channel backup files available to download in the recovery process, historically LND users need to take Lightning Node disaster recovery steps, ideally we can close channels and secure all funds as an easy way to migrate to avoid the hassle of this process - we donā€™t want to HAVE to take this step, usually we can troubleshoot a Lightning Node and save that data first - offchain channel migration thereā€™s a lot that can go wrongā€¦

To be clear, you can recover onchain funds with an Aezeed Seed phrase, but you need more data to recover what is in the channelsā€¦

Let me know if any questions!

hi jim, thank you for your efforts recovering my funds. what do you mean by: ā€œyou can recover onchain funds with an Aezeed Seed phrase, but you need more dataā€ .what data do i need to recover my funds?

You need at least the SCB backup file from the previous Lightning Node

As a member of the LND team described eloquently:

ā€œ ā€¦you only need the SCB (channel.backup) file. What the doc (the disaster recovery doc I linked above) is referring to is that if you are able to recover the channel.db file from a node that otherwise crashed (and if that file is fully intact) then you can restore the channels to full operation again, as with the SCB file you will need to ask all your peers to force close.
And in the case of zombie channels (the peer isnā€™t around anymore when you attempt recovery through SCB), even an old version of the channel.db file can be useful for manual recovery (never start a node with an old channel.db file!)ā€¦ā€

I have this described here: Telegram: Contact @getumbrel

Meaning, a lot can go wrong with the offchain channel migration, thatā€™s why this automated recovery method with SCB is currently one of the safest and most reliable methods to recover all funds specifically back onchain,

So because you crashed before we had automated recovery Fred youā€™d need to have that drive and that SCB file at least still to get that channel back (believe it was 250k sats? Or ask your peer maybe they can run a command called remote sweep if they are a good samiritan to assist), otherwise with the seed you only get what was onchain not what was in channels

hola jim, when i installed umbrel, no such instructions were given by the installer. when the computer crashed shortly after the installation, i had to install a new operating system which deleted all files on the computer. i was given 12 words and as a bitcoiner i backed up those words and i had no reason to assume that it would work like bitcoin to recover the money with your seed. but it does not because it is not bitcoin, it is a different system.

the lightning network is insecure. a developer said recently and he resigned from the project: iris furthermore at the bitcoinconference in amsterdam there was a discussion about lightning. it was told that even if you have the ā€˜specialā€™ backup from lightning, it does not mean that you can restore lightning. lightning is a mess.

That is correct a Lightning Node is a different system, it should warn you it is experimental when launching Lightning Node app for the first time and not to store significant fundsā€¦

You can find a guide here explaining and it is a nuanced topic to run liquidity for your lightning wallets so will require a bit of DYORing,

As it breaks it down you can connect a Bitcoin wallet to your Bitcoin node for onchain, Lightning is offchain and has different backup-recovery methods for creating offchain liquidity you can connect your lightning wallet toā€¦ Not sure how to more easily say that open to suggestions

Iā€™m sorry you had an issue, what OS did you reinstall, let me know if you still needed any assistance

for the second statement Iā€™m personally speculating but the developer that raised the issue I think the fixes were already being addressed by the community as early as February with no funds confirmed to yet be stolen this way with the HTLC replacements so not sure why indeed like he said it had taken a while, and seems to be a bit of FUD sensationalized now- the beauty of lightning! AFAIK there are still several enterprise nodes with hundreds of BTC that will keep updating to the latest versions!

Let me know if you have any questions or feel free to hop in Telegram/ping if needed help setting up at all! Happy to chat!