How to restore your node wallet (updated)

I dug into this a little more and there’s some weird stuff going on. There were about 10 inbound transactions coming into my Blixt wallet. Some of the transactions stayed within Blixt while six or seven went to my BTC BW. The AEZEED for my BW and Blixt wallet are the same, so it’s as if they’re competing against one another for funds coming in from channels being force closed.

I feel like I’m asking for trouble leaving everything as is (I know, you say to be patient). It makes sense to me to put my BW into something like blockchain.com where I can archive it or turn my BW to offline mode to keep it off Electrum server. Seems like I should just let Blixt do it’s thing.

Do you think this situation with my BW is going to cause problems? Or am I just being a paranoid, impatient prick? :relaxed:

If you still have channels to be closed, you need to be patient. Some closing txs could have a maturity height longer.
Blixt is a LND node so act exactly like a Umbrel node.
BW is just an interface for your onchain aezeed wallet so could not see yet all those anchor utxos.

Be patient, In Blixt you should see coming the UTXOs from closing channels when the maturity is over. Keep in mind that main screen is ONLY LN wallet. The onchain wallet is in the top drawer - onchain.

2 Likes

I’ve had a few channels close already, but what’s weird is that my BTC BW balance isn’t synced up with my on-chain Blixt wallet. My Blixt is showing some on-chain funds, but not as many as my BW. I lucked out and watched a channel close today on mempool.space and could see it show up live on my BW. It just seems weird to me that not all transactions reflect on the balance of my on-chain Blixt wallet… They’re from the same seed!

Thanks for the tip about Blixt by the way… I was thinking about trying to do the same type of thing with Zap, but I only have the ios version and it seems a little buggy

In blixt you have an option to rescan the addresses. Mark it and restart Blixt. Wait patiently and look into lnd logs (see in options) what is the progress

Boom! everything is synced up. Good call!

1 Like

Hi, I have a question. I had to reinstall my umbrel from scratch. I had my seed and now downloading the blockchain again, so that part should be fine. The problem is with my lightning channels. I have a backup, but it’s a couple of weeks old. Is it possible for an admin to get me a more recent one? I have my backup id. :pray:

It doesn’t matter when you did the backup. It matter if that backup was the last state of your channels. means that after that backup you didn’t had any more open or close channels.

Umbrel is doing an automated local backup of that file, in your node, every time you open /close or update your node. Then that file is uploaded to Umbrel server to be stored. is just a copy of what you just copied locally.

So if you know that after making that backup you didn’t close or open more channels (it doesn’t matter the txs) then you are good to go.
If you did changes in your LN channels, then is better to contact @mayank or @lukechilds to recover that backup.

Thank you for this guide!, I just recovered my node in less than an hour with all LN channels working like a charm. Very important to have my seed phrase and a rsync copy of channels.db & wallet.db. My old node setup was a total loss, now downloading all blocks again.

Running my new Node on a custom Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Linux machine.

1 Like

Really nice to hear that! Good work!

Yes, this has helped me. The instructions in the guide are wrong for method 1. It would prevent a lot of further questions if the guide was corrected for method 1 @DarthCoin

I gotcha. So my channels have all been forced closed wouldn’t the sats go back to the same onchain wallet I sent them from?

What is wrong with method 1?

Prior to the SCP command, it appears to instruct you to ssh into Umbrel. But the SCP command should be ran on your windows PC where the channel.backup file is. This is why a lot of people are confused with method 1

OK, fixed

Yep, would be nice if instructions were there for Windows vs. Mac/Linux.

The instructions worked for me , the only thing I would add is:

• The recovery process forced me to close my open channels, but my sats were all recovered back to my main wallet. Instructions did not say this.

I think you are not reading all. Is right there. Also is well known that LND at restoring a SCB backup is closing the channels in order to recover the funds. Is STANDARD procedure.

thank you for guide,

when I try to restore wallet with umbrel seed phrase on blixt wallet, I’m getting an error

rpc error: code = Unknown desc = word <word> isn't a part of default word list,

I have confirmed multiple times if my seed is correct and it is, any ideas? thanks

Are you 100% sure you are using the good seed?
This sounds like a word from that seed is not correct.

yes,

I’m pretty sure that is the case,

and also I confirm the word in question is not on the list

That is the list of BIP39, LND is aezeed, something totally different.
I am confused now, what are you trying to do.