How to restore your node wallet (updated)

Sometimes just a simple restart release them back. Thank you Darth, your support here is priceless!

1 Like

Hi,
Iā€™m unsure how to proceed with restoring the node.
The node is OK, except for the channel.db. The channel.db cannot be saved either. Also chantools brings an error ā€œout of rangeā€.
I have the channel.db.backup required for the recovery, it is the latest version. The node has not been online since (11 days).
Well I would prefer not to reload the blokchain, the transfer rates here are not good. and local copying is also estimated at 60 hours.
How do I replace or reset the channel.db? does it work automatically? Or will the channel.db be recreated if I delete it? Deleting would be the easiest. I would do it with the Bilxt method.
Iā€™m not going to do it now and am waiting for your professional opinion and the approach you recommend.
PS: Above you would help, hence the message :grin:

Why are you so fixated in channel.db?
There are many other options before doing things that you donā€™t understand.
Read careful the ENTIRE guide, donā€™t cherry pick only what you think itā€™s easy for you (but is not).
The guide is structured in 8 parts, each situation for a specific case. So choose wisely and pay attention to details. It is explained STEP BY STEP.

Blixt Method worked perfect for me! Thank you very much! @DarthCoin

2 Likes

I am glad you recover your funds and you learned something new with Bitcoin.
This is the way!

2 Likes

Hello, I am restoring my node,since I moved it to other location. Meanwhile the blockchain is being downloaded, Iā€™m trying to restore my channels backup following guide number 1. However, i see that my channels are still active (checking my node in 1ml).
I also see the following error on the logs: LndError: Unable to list channels.
It seems that my LND wallet is not created. Could anyone please help? it might be necessary to wait until bitcoin blockchain is 100% synced? thanks in advanceumbrel-1645367113863-debug.log (30.6 KB)

You are right! Iā€™m a non tecky user, I spend a lot of time figuring out why I was gettting ā€œno such file or directory errorā€.
So the solution that worked is what you are saying. I think that the guide 1 should be updated because it seems that you dont need to SSH first

1 Like

What do you think?
Can you use something that is not yet available?

Well, for bitcoin i understand that yes, but for lightning, no ideaā€¦ but for your anwser, i understood yes! thanks

My node bricked and I was able to get my onchain fund via sparrow and I did try to use blixt to get access to my channels but they didnā€™t show up I probably donā€™t have the most up to date logs. I assume. My counterparties all forced closed already as well so I should have a sats in my wallet. How do i go about getting the host channel logs?

Seems that you didnā€™t read carefully the guide and you mixed up things.
Please pay attention to all details explained there, donā€™t cherry pick only what you think you like to do.

I tried resolving my ā€œlocked walletā€ issue and even though I recieved a message saying it was successfully unlocked, my node showed ā€œsynchronizingā€ with no balance on-chain or on LNā€¦ So I went with option #3 of your wallet recovery guide, and now I have a few questions.

#1 I had 10 channels with ā€œforce closingā€ status in my blixt app for 3 days. Now 9 of them are ā€œwaiting for closeā€ while one is still force closing. Is there any action I should/could take to speed this up or verify that everything is closing properly?

#2 Some of my channels arenā€™t showing up in blixt. I used the most up to date channel backup file I had, which I downloaded minutes before installing blixt. Is this normal?

#3 Can I reformat my hard drive and flash a new copy of Umbrel and start up a new node from scratch while I wait for this process to play out? Obviously I would create a completely new instance of Umbrel OS without using any prior seed phrases.

Thanks for the help/advice!

1. Wait. Force closing takes time.
  2. Maybe were already closed, or were with 100% of the balance on peer side so you get nothing
  3. Yes. If you have the seed + channels.backup is all you need. Start a new fresh wallet, do not restore the old one anymore.
1 Like

I appreciate the feedback. Wasnā€™t expecting you to respond so soon!

@VinnieG, Hiā€¦ I am having the same issue. Both steps were completed as advised. But nothing happened. Were you able to restore/recover the lightning funds? Thanks!

@DarthCoin, another question about force closing channels using the Blixt methodā€¦

My node was synced with a BTC Bluewallet and a Lightning Bluewallet. I used my original Umbrel seed phrase for recovery with Blixt. Would it hurt anything if I were to also recover my BTC and Lightning Bluewallets using Blixt? I was thinking about doing this so I could keep an eye on everything within one app.

It seems reasonable, that way I can delete those two wallets from my Bluewallet app and keep everything somewhat organized while I wait for those channels to close. Just wanted to check first before doing something stupid. Iā€™d like to get my Bluewallet connect to my new node, but putting the two wallets from my previous node on my new node seems like itā€™ll be a complete disasterā€¦
Thanks!

All sats from lndhub BW wallet are already on your node, so is nothing to ā€œrecoverā€.
What you see in BW lndhub are just ā€œtokensā€ in a database in your node.
The real sats are already in your LN channels

1 Like

But it I were to try to send sats from the BWā€™s that were on my old node, wouldnā€™t that break up the current UTxOā€™s that are in there, making it impossible for funds to be returned?

Donā€™t move any funds in onchain until you restore all your channels. That could break the anchor shit.
Just wait to be closed and funds returned.

1 Like