BTCPay Server not starting (port issue?)

BTCPay Server starting/boot problem.

I’m currently running Umbrel Node V0.5.3. and the node is fully synced.
I have an issue with getting my BTCPay Server to start.
The App icon continuisly stays in “starting…” mode.
And if I click on the App icon after waiting for quite long time, an error page shows up that says connection has been refused.

btcpay-server-issue-1.2

I have also looked around here in the forums to check if I could find similar kind of issue like this topic and found this one, BTCPAY won't start after install

I followed the suggestions mention in there, where the issue seems to be kind of similar like mine, where the service doesn’t start, however the debug log file there, shows different result than in my log file, so perhaps there is something else going on regarding to that topic.

After I restarted the btcpay-server service and reboot like suggested in that topic, the issue stays the same, always in starting mode, but it seems to have fixed some of the issue when reading the new debug log file.
In the debug file, it seems now only be about the “btcpay-server_web_1”.

In the startup service log section, it says;

umbrel umbrel startup[1102]: ERROR: for btcpay-server_web_1 UnixHTTPConnectionPool(host='localhost', port=None): Read timed out. (read timeout=240) umbrel umbrel startup[1102]: ERROR: for web UnixHTTPConnectionPool(host='localhost', port=None): Read timed out. (read timeout=240) umbrel umbrel startup[1102]: An HTTP request took too long to complete. Retry with --verbose to obtain debug information. umbrel umbrel startup[1102]: If you encounter this issue regularly because of slow network conditions, consider setting COMPOSE_HTTP_TIMEOUT to a higher value (current value: 240).

And for btcpay-server, in the Apps log section, it says;

app_proxy_1 | Retrying... app_proxy_1 | Error wating for port: "The address 'btcpay-server_web_1' cannot be found" app_proxy_1 | Retrying... app_proxy_1 | Error wating for port: "The address 'btcpay-server_web_1' cannot be found" app_proxy_1 | Retrying... app_proxy_1 | Error wating for port: "The address 'btcpay-server_web_1' cannot be found" app_proxy_1 | Retrying... app_proxy_1 | Error wating for port: "The address 'btcpay-server_web_1' cannot be found" app_proxy_1 | Retrying... app_proxy_1 | Error wating for port: "The address 'btcpay-server_web_1' cannot be found"

Does anyone know what might be causing this issue and then also how to fix it?

I found this information on BTCPay Server website,
https://docs.btcpayserver.org/FAQ/Synchronization/#btcpay-server-keeps-showing-that-my-node-is-always-starting

However I’m not sure how to do these “Cases”, #3 to #5 in the terminal on a Umbrel node, that are explained on this web page.
It seems it needs different commands to execute these steps, on Umbrel.

Regards, Bjarni

Did you find a solution to this? I had the same issue, and the suggestion was to re-flash the SD card which I did, but still having the same issue. So keep me posted on your progress please.

If someone still have this issue,
database migration bugfix was already released - install latest update of BTCpay (from appstore):
More details:

1 Like

Great to hear there’s a solution here- thanks for sharing