Umbrel update problem

I am trying to get some help with accessing my node. I was in the middle of an update that was taking a long time and my PC went to sleep on me. Since then I have been trying to complete the recent update but I am stuck in the “starting new containers” loop. Is there any way to finish the update and access the node?

Its been a couple days now. I have done all I can think of to start over.

Hey there! :wave:

I’m sorry you’re experiencing this update issue, can we see your update process logs with this command: tail -n 100 ~/umbrel/logs/karen.log

We can determine the issue of it being stuck there and can continue to troubleshoot!

Let us know what else you’ve tried as well or if you get it working!

1 Like

How do I get to a command screen?

In your command line first type ssh umbrel@umbrel.local
This will take you to your Umbrel so you can execute commands.

As an alternative you can also use ssh umbrel@YourNode’sIP if you can find your Node’s IP address in your network device list or using an app like Angry IP scanner: https://angryip.org/. So it would be something like ssh umbrel@192.168.1.120 or whatever your Node’s IP is.

This is what I got back from running the command line you said.

I think its stuck running the update. I also saw 5.1 in the response when I logged in.

If we are indeed stuck running the update and it’s not progressing please try this command:

rm -f ~/umbrel/statuses/update-in-progress && sudo reboot

Let us know if this works!

I got this back

umbrel@umbrel:~ $ rm -f ~/umbrel/statuses/update-in-progress && sudo reboot

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.
#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

[sudo] password for umbrel:
Connection to 192.168.1.26 closed by remote host.
Connection to 192.168.1.26 closed.

This is the fix that got me going again and downloading quickly. Thx team Telegram

Here is a fix for the ₿itcoin node appearing as blank/not loading and causing issues for all dependent apps…

After checking logs likely you may see a line that shows “Error: Invalid or corrupt peers.dat”

What you can do is SSH into your Umbrel and first stop Bitcoin:

~/umbrel/scripts/app stop bitcoin

Then you can delete the peers.dat file (removing or renaming also works):

rm /home/umbrel/umbrel/app-data/bitcoin/data/bitcoin/peers.dat

(If the above command works it just sends you to the new line, sometimes this is confusing but that means it was successful otherwise if you run it again you’ll see it now displays “No such file or directory”)

Then start Bitcoin again:

~/umbrel/scripts/app start bitcoin

Then please wait at least 5 minutes, it can sometimes take a little longer.

Now finally reload your dashboard and you will likely see your Bitcoin Node app has begun to synchronize once more, hopefully closer to 99.8% and only take less than < 1 hour to finish.

Now all your apps will work normally again, including Lightning Node, and this also should fix the issue of Ride The Lightning appearing with the wallet locked error as well once Bitcoin Node app is done resynchronizing. If this doesn’t work or you experience any other errors please share and we can continue to assist!