Umbrel is Unreachable after about 10 days

Ayer about 10 days, Umbrel become unreachable over the LAN. This happens often. I just pull the power and restart it.

I downloaded the system logs 17 hours later.

What am I looking for in their to tell me why this keeps happening?

Anyone else have this issue?

2 Likes

Have had this issue time and time again. To the point where I have given up on Umbrel. I have no faith in Umbrel what so ever. It looks nice but that is the end of it. Look elsewhere.

What alternative do you recommend?

1 Like

At this stage I havenā€™t come up with alternative. I have shelved setting up a node for now.

Iā€™ve also had a hell of a time.

1. Experience this issue during initial sync.
  2. Had to restart umbrel to get sync to start again
  3. Sync on a Raspi 400 took >30 days (to a known good / brand new SSD, on a 500Mbps connection)
  4. Once synced, could not connect to bitcoin node directly with Sparrow.
  5. Installed electrs, but sync never completed (> 3 days, still says waiting for bitcoin node to sync)
  6. Attempted to re-index bitcoin node ā€¦ now bitcoin node will not go past ~25% sync
  7. Inspection shows blockchain data is still present
  8. Umbrel activity monitor shows 0B for bitcoin node; bitcoin data appears to be associated with the system data now
    ā€¦ thereā€™s more that Iā€™ve forgotten

TL;DR, I chose to use umbrel because it was supposed to be ā€œeasy modeā€ ā€¦ now Iā€™m realizing it would have been easier to just sync a node from scratch on a linux machine.

Unfortunate.

Read this thread!

[Umbrel Home Loses Network Connection]

1 Like

Thank you for posting this Thread.

I donā€™t know much about coding and such but I wonder, would it help you to download angry IP? That helped me find the IP assigned to my home device.

Appreciate it, but I can see the device when I search for the IP. It just doesnā€™t respond.

2 Likes

Yes same here doesnā€™t find the IP address. I also use Mesh WiFi that shows all the IP address of everything connected on my network. Umbrel shows up on the Mesh but with no download or upload data . I can fix this by shutting it down and restarting, but give it a few days and same thing happens again.

This may be unrelated, but is Ubuntu the OS?

I moved all of my personal machines OFF of Ubuntu (Server) and installed Debian because out of the blue they would stop responding on the network. In the never-ending search of finding a way to fix the problem I would come across random Stack-Overflow or Ask Ubuntu posts instructing new parameters for ā€˜/etc/resolv.confā€™ or something-something-itā€™s-always-DNS, etc.

After ditching Ubuntu (Ubuntu Server 20.4 was installed on 80% of them) and putting Debian 12 on each machine over the past couple of months, this problem has completely disappeared.

Just throwing this out there, hopefully it sparks some possible solution.

1 Like