Umbrel Home Loses Network Connection

I have an Umbrel Home running 1.0.4. When I boot it up it grabs an IP address from my router and all is well, but then after about 12 hours it is no longer connected. I am unable to access via browser. I check my router and the IP address is no longer there. If I reboot the Umbrel, connectivity returns and the cycle repeats. I am only running BTC node and Electrs.

3 Likes

I am having the same issue, waiting to receive help myself.

1 Like

Same issues here, Umbrel is very average indeed. Issue after issue.

1 Like

Hi @toddhigg @thetaboy333 @whynot sorry to hear about your issues here.

Can you please try the following steps:

1. Open a terminal window on your computer. On macOS, you can open the Terminal app that’s installed by default on every Mac. On Windows, you can open Command Prompt or the PowerShell app.
  2. Type in the following command ssh -t umbrel@umbrel.local and press the Enter key
  3. Run sudo journalctl | grep '\-\- Boot\|dhclient'
  4. Share as much of the output as you can here with pastebin.com
1 Like

I can’t ssh into mine, it just hangs and does nothing. 2nd time doing this. Works fine for 2-3 days with no issue and then you go to login with the browser using umbrel.local and it just hangs there. While it is working you can ssh without a problem. The last time it done this I ended up rebooting at the case, then redone the micro sd card with umbrel 1.0.4 again and it started up as normal. It then continued to catch up with the Blockchain sync.
I’m not going to do this again knowing the same will most likely happen.

1 Like

I am unable to ssh into my Umbrel Home. I get this message:

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@ WARNING: POSSIBLE DNS SPOOFING DETECTED! @
The ECDSA host key for umbrel.local has changed,
and the key for the corresponding IP address
is unknown. This could either mean that
DNS SPOOFING is happening or the IP address for the host
and its host key have changed at the same time.
@ WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED! @
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that a host key has just been changed.

FWIW I used migration assistant in the Umbrel Home to transfer my data from a Pi 4 to the new machine.

Maybe the problem is related?

I’ve been having a similar issue except my node only lasts ~2 hours before I need to reboot. I upgraded from raspi 4 on 0.5.4 to an Umbrel Home on 1.0.4. Here’s the dhclient output from pastebin: umbrel@umbrel:~$ sudo journalctl | grep '\-\- Boot\|dhclient'[sudo] password f - Pastebin.com

1 Like

Yep exactly same issue since I migrated to Umbrel Home last week. Still waiting for help from the Umbrel team but they can’t seem to fix this yet. My Umbrel Home freezes every hour or so and has to be restarted again by pressing the power button on the box. Only btc node and electrs apps work. LND app won’t start now

1 Like

I have run this command and just DM’d it to lukechilds on Discord, thanks, please help

Hi @smolgrrr , same problem here.

Why hasn’t this been fixed? I am tired of rebooting this POS every day. Waste of money.

2 Likes

Problem solved! I opened up my Umbrel Home and discovered that there is a hidden HDMI port. The fact that they hide this from us tells you everything you need to know about this company. This discovery allowed me to promptly download Start9 and install it from a USB stick over this horrible piece of software. I have not had one single problem in three days. IMO this was the perfect solution. Hope this helps.

How did you manage the transition of the downloaded Bitcoin blockchain to Start9? Was it picked up automatically?

I had to re-download the blockchain. It took less than 24 hours.

Ugh. Do you know if Start9 will support an NVMe drive?

Wow, based on your reply I ended up doing the same thing! I received my Umbrel Home about a month ago, and the freezing/restart every 24-48 hours really started to piss me off. I am now running StartOS on my Umbrel Home and no problems!

Good for you! I am convinced this is the only real solution to the problem. I too have had no problems since installing StartOS on my Umbrel Home.

1 Like

Just out of curiosity: do you think the hidden HDMI port is the culprit in all this or (perhaps more likely) something with the Umbrel OS itself? Seems if it was the latter they should be able to fix it. Oh well, it’s rather a moot point for me as I’m planning to stick with StartOS. (I am kinda Lol that I did this to my Umbrel Home so soon after receiving it!)

No. The purpose of the hidden HDMI port is to keep us from installing better software. The problem IS with the UmbrelOS. Many people are having the disconnect issue. I just grew tired of waiting for a fix. You can always go back to UmbrelOS if/when they finally correct the issue. I won’t be going back.

1 Like

Yeah, they may fix it eventually. Had I known this disconnect issue was so common, I simply would not have purchased an Umbrel Home. Also, I wish I had watched this video before I bought it.

Kudos to Start9 folks, it is working great!

2 Likes