Sparrow Lost Connection to Bitcoin Core

Likely my ignorance but unable for find any discussion, solution to issue. Using Umbrel set up Bitcoin node, using Sparrow as interface to Trezor model T. I am totally ignorant of technically how all works, but was able to follow instructions. Back in March, Node 100% synced, successfully moved coin from Coinbase to Trezor.
Few day back I moved coin from Coinbase to the Trezor using Sparrow. The move was successful in that the Trezor balance increased, but the transaction is not shown in Sparrow. If I open settings in Sparrow, select Server, and test connection I get, “Could not connect: Failed to parse address: umbrel.local” How to reestablish the connection?
Thanks in advance for help. Jim

I use my IP with sparrow.

you can try variations of umbrel.local but I found IP is the most reliable

1 Like

Not sure if this is related but I too was using Sparrow, my node went down from a power cut and couldn’t connect to sparrow, luckily I only had a small amount of Bitcoin in there, this is why I am very careful what I use on my node,

Back in business. I will outline my solution below, but given I am total noob, I would much appreciate anyone knowledgeable explaining to me on a first grade level if I have opened my computer and every file on it for the world see.

Again with Umbrel guidance I have a full node running on a Raspberry Pie. Also have Sparrow app installed to interface between the hard wallet and bitcoin exchange. Original instruction called for Sparrow server setting:
Type: Private Electrum
URL: umbrel.local
Port: 50001

First few moves of coin from exchange to HW using Sparrow, setup worked as advertised, coin indicated in HW and transactions listed in Sparrow. Fast forward to May. Moved a few more coins from exchange to HW using Sparrow. These transactions did not show up on the transactions list in Sparrow, but fortunately did show in the HW. Among other possibilities we did experience a electrical power interruption, but when power restored both the Node and Electrum caught up 100% synced.

I went through the process of editing the Sparrow server setting; deleted and re-enterred URL and port info. Test connection failed. After multiple attempts I started this thread. Kept searching but found nothing helpful. Eventually I stumbled over the following:

1. Open Electrs and changed from Local Network to Tor. This changes the Addresses from unbrel.local to a 56 digit address ending .onion. Copy this long address.
  2. With a Mac and Brave browser, open Sparrow then click on Sparrow top left, then Settings. This will open a new window with a General Tab and a Server tab. I am not able to get to this window via the Sparrow setup page although it also has a Server tab. On this new page select Server then click on Edit Existing Connection. Select Private Electrum, then paste the long address into the URL slot. All else remains as the initial setup. Test was successful and the transaction list on Sparrow updated.

In my uneducated mind, using the Tor network suggests that the query and reply is going through a number of servers around the world to get to my node six feet away??

Hope this is beneficial to someone.

1 Like

there is no reason to use tor if your in your local network it will only slow things down a lot.
you are correct its going through 6 serves all over the world.
You can use your local IP address in your sparrow settings and itll be much faster.
Use an onion when your away or set up a local vpn.

I have a separate pi I use for other stuff and I put wireguard on it. Thats how I connect to my bitcoin stuff when I am out of the house.
It’s so much faster than tor.

Now Dont get me wrong I love tor and its great for the node stuff but as far as your wallet avoid it if you can because its overkill

1 Like

your peers.dat file is probably corrupted. Delete it and reboot

Thank you much for the replies, information!!

After hours of attempts hooking up the sparrow wallet to the Electrum server through Tailscale this worked form me. The Private Electrum Server setting on sparrow wallet was set to: “your server hostname”/“Static IP address Server” . (ie. Oscar/192.168.1.222)
Oscar is the Hostname set on the PFSense Router and this is linked to tailscale. The 192.168.1.222 is the unbrel server. The Oscar.local did not work for me.
Not sure if this is correct but it connects. Hope this helps.

1 Like