Micro SD card is full

Hi

My website access to Umbrel started saying “can’t access containers” a few week’s back. I discovered last night that the micro SD card is full. I can SSH into the Raspberry Pi running Umbrel.

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 32G 32G 0 100% /
devtmpfs 4.0G 0 4.0G 0% /dev
tmpfs 4.1G 0 4.1G 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 4.1G 410M 3.7G 10% /run
tmpfs 5.3M 4.1k 5.3M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 4.1G 0 4.1G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1 265M 32M 234M 12% /boot
/dev/sda1 2.0T 713G 1.2T 39% /mnt/data
tmpfs 820M 0 820M 0% /run/user/1000

I just tried to create a “Hello World” text file in nano and, sure enough, it says “error writing hw.txt. No space left on device”

I also used "find / -name *.log -exec rm {} ;

perhaps heavy handed and not advisable to delete running processes log files but the system is borked now anyway. I can confirm that the log files have been recreated and only contain today’s messages so they’ve been pruned. Even after this the SD card is reported to be full - 100% used.

What the hell is going on? Are Umbrel and it’s containers out of control? What is eating the whole 32 GB of space? I’ve seen other users posting that they run Umbrel in 16 GB just fine.

Could someone advise on what to look for? What is using up the whole of my 32 GB?

Aha, on a long shot I just checked:

/home/umbrel/umbrel/app-data/bitcoin/data/bitcoin/blocks

and sure enough it’s filled up with block data.

In trying to solve the website’s “can’t access containers” I reflashed the 32 GB SD card and put Umbrel back on, it’s now decided to use the card itself to store the blockchain. And, of course, this has not solved the “can’t access the containers” message. I’ve already got the blockchain stored on a 2 TB USB external drive. In reflashing I guess Umbrel defaulted to storing the blockchain on the SD card itself.

Umbrel is seductive; when it works it’s nice but there is a lot going on under the bonnet and when it goes wrong the typical user is going to be in for one hell of a substantial learning curve of docker, containers, log files, block data, Linux commands, disc layout / structure. Get ready to become a pretty good sysadmin if you want to have any real chance of troubleshooting Umbrel when it goes off the rails. I’m learning but still nowhere near to having any answers.

Thanks for reading,

Jay