HOWTO: Change pihole password

After a lot of trawling around trying to find an answer to this question. I happened upon Garry (kudos bro :+1:) in the the telegram group.

ssh into umbrel.
At the prompt enter:
docker ps
This will present a list of docker containers. Find the container id for pi-hole_server_1 (2bf0cecaad14 was mine) At the prompt enter:
docker exec -it 2bf0cecaad14 bash (use YOUR container id)
to open the pihole container. Then to change password enter this:
pihole -a -p
Change the password when prompted, confirm the changed password. All done.

This HOWTO works for Umbrel 0.5.1. Might not (but should) work for earlier or later Umbrel versions.

3 Likes

Thanks.
It worked for me today on 0.5.3-build-d6641f8.

Hi Ray, I’m also on 0.5.3 and able to get to the pi server. However, when entering pihole -a -p I’m getting “command not found”?
Am I’m missing something in the command, I’m entering this after the prompt: node@app_proxy_pi-hole:/app$

Appreciate any help as I’m not very familiar with terminal stuff.

BTW…before the upgrade, I was able to login using the default pwd for Pi-hole. After upgrade, password doesn’t work

Just an update that may help others. With the upgrade to .0.5.3, the default pwd on the .4 version “moneyprinter…” was not working. I was looking around the app store and selected Pi-Hole, when the screen came up, there is a default password listed on the right and got me in :slight_smile:

1 Like

Seems like you copy&pasted the wrong docker instance ID and didn’t log into the pihole docker container but another one. Obviously the line-breaks can be confusing in the

docker ps

view…
You would need to see a command prompt like this one

root@cf9de73ee97a:/#

to execute the

pihole -a -p

command.

Good luck! I trust you can do this!

This is a good advice! I wasn’t aware of that.
Nevertheless, better change the password :wink:

Thanks!

Yep, that was it and as you indicated, the line breaks got me but now reset properly!

Hello,

It seems this doesn’t work for UmbrelOS 1.0. I am unable to connect to the container and get the following error: OCI runtime exec failed: exec failed: unable to start container process: open /dev/ptmx: no such device: unknown

Anyone is able to reset the password for Pi-hole container?