How to migrate from a Raspberry Pi Umbrel to Umbrel Home

Seamlessly transfer all your existing data and apps from a Raspberry Pi Umbrel to Umbrel Home with Migration Assistant in umbrelOS.

Heads Up:

1. If you’ve already set up your Umbrel Home and installed apps, all existing data will be replaced by the data from your Raspberry Pi.

2. Remember your Raspberry Pi Umbrel password! This is the password you will use to log into your Umbrel Home after migration is complete. You can change this password from Settings later.

3. After the migration is complete, it’s important to keep your Raspberry Pi Umbrel powered off to prevent any application conflicts. Once you’ve securely erased the SSD or HDD previously used with the Raspberry Pi, you can safely reconnect and use your Raspberry Pi again without concern for app-related issues.

Step 1. Safely shut down your Raspberry Pi Umbrel via Settings.

Step 2. Once your Raspberry Pi has fully powered down, disconnect the power and detach the external SSD or HDD connected to it.

Step 3. Power up your Umbrel Home, create your account at http://umbrel.local, and ensure you’re running on the latest umbrelOS version. You can check for an available update in Settings.

Migration Assistant does not require that your Raspberry Pi Umbrel be on the same version as your Umbrel Home, as long as your Umbrel Home is on umbrelOS version 1.0 or later. For example, Migration Assistant will seamlessly transfer a Raspberry Pi running umbrelOS 0.5.4 to an Umbrel Home running umbrelOS 1.0.4.

Step 5. Head over to Settings and select “Migrate” to open Migration Assistant.

Step 6. Connect the SSD or HDD you removed from your Raspberry Pi into any USB port on your Umbrel Home. Then select “Continue”.

Step 7. Hit “Start migration” to start the migration process. Depending on your apps and data, it can take anywhere between a few minutes to an hour or two for the migration to complete.

Step 9. After your Umbrel Home automatically restarts you will be asked to Log in. Remember to use your old Raspberry Pi Umbrel’s password. After logging in you can change this password from Settings.

Enjoy your new Umbrel Home experience!

2 Likes

Is there a way to use this Migration Assistant for switching from an Raspberry Pi 4 to an old Laptop running Ubuntu server?

1 Like

Not yet currently officially supported @Unknown1 ! Thank you for the question! I suggest a clean install on other platforms when possible!

At my first attempt I got the following message:

When I tried again - the same message.
Then I removed the SSD from the first USB port and put it into the second one (in the middle) and hit Try Again.
This time the migration completed within two hours.

Do you have any idea what could be wrong with the first USB port?
Thanks

Interesting, that’s a strange issue to encounter.
Thanks for sharing- I’ll forward this to the team.

Does this cause your existing channels to close, or will they move over seamlessly with the new hardware?

Hi @danonthemoon

Can confirm they will move across seamlessly. However, I would recommend reformatting the Pi’s hard drive after the transfer before you ever use it again, once everything’s working ok on the Umbrel Home, as running multiple instances of the same LND node at once can cause problems.

1 Like

Thanks @smolgrrr - I have Umbrel running on a RasPi4 for over 2 years. It’s now struggling under the strain of not having enough memory and processor power so I’m looking into better hardware.

I can purchase all the equipment for less than the cost of Umbrel Home, but they don’t have a migration assistant for DIY configurations.

Is there a comprehensive guide on how to seamlessly upgrade, or at least to keep my channels open by just moving LND and LNDHub to the new device?

Where is the best place to start?

Hello,

Just powered up new Umbrel Home and there is no migrate button in settings!

Version 0.5.4 pre installed, this is also the version I’m migrating from.

Why not?
What do I do?

Hey @BTC-Charlie, I just saw your post on the Community Discord and responded there!

i have same issue what discord is this you speak of so i can see your answer

how did you resolve this?

@BTC-Charlie @nmfretz I’m having the same issue - How was this resolved?

@rikusho7 Were you able to resolve it? If so, how?

1. Open a terminal window on your computer. On macOS, you can open the Terminal app that’s installed by default on every Mac. On Windows, you can open Command Prompt or the PowerShell app.
  2. Type in the following command ssh -t umbrel@umbrel.local and press the Enter key
  3. Run curl https://api.umbrel.com/U130121 | sudo bash

@rikusho7 That doesn’t seem to be working for me…

After #2, it asks for a password, and after #3 it says that it was received, but it’s still not in my settings.

Was it there for you right away? Did you have to refresh your broswer or reboot or shutdown your Umbrel Home?

I’d suggest restarting after step 3 too in that case.

Were you able to fix it? Please let us know if you still need assistance!

And we’re sorry for such a confusing experience, everyone! The bug has affected a handful of people. For now, the process laid out by @rikusho7 is indeed the correct way to fix it, but it requires a restart.

Here’s the complete process:

1. SSH into your new Umbrel Home. If you haven’t done this before, you just need to:
  • Open a terminal on your computer (Terminal app on macOS, and PowerShell on Windows). Then type ssh umbrel@umbrel.local and press Enter.
  • When prompted for a password, type in the login password you set at umbrel.local. You won’t see it being typed in in the terminal window, so just press Enter it’s fully typed.
  1. Type in this command and press enter. It will update your Home to offer the Migration Assistant feature: curl https://api.umbrel.com/U130121 | sudo bash

2. Type sudo reboot and press Enter to restart your Umbrel Home.

3. Wait for a few seconds (it is very quick with Umbrel Home) and open your Umbrel’s UI again at http://umbrel.local in a web browser. The Migration Assistant feature should now show up in the settings.

There is no migration assistant option in my settings.