How do I close my lightening wallet and move the sats to my bitcoin wallet?

I want to close my lightening wallet and move the sats back to the bitcoin wallet. Can someone tell me how to do this?

What you call a “lightning wallet” is really an app with a local bitcoin wallet + a lightning network manager. The lightning manager uses the amount in the local bitcoin wallet to open transfer channels with some other lightning managers, so you can pay (send) or receive bitcoins.
To get your balance bitcoins to the local bitcoin wallet, just close the opened channels.
Then you can transfer the bitcoins in the local bitcoin wallet to another bitcoin wallet if you like.
There are two lightning apps in umbrel: Lnd and Core Lightning.

I have attempted to close the channel but get an error message because the server is in the process of starting. It has been like this for a few hours.

Is there another way to close the channel?

To Lnd work you need bitcoin blockchain updated and Electrs 100% synced.
You better not be opening and closing channels frequentely. Both operations are paid, it is not cheap, takes time, and not sure as channels open and close have to be registered in bitcoin blockchain.
About time, there are many situations, but forcing close a channel with an other offline manager can take up to 2 weeks.

Everything is updated and synced as of today. So does this process occur automatically? I haven’t really used it that much, to be honest. The channel states that is offline and still getting error message.

I can’t see what is going.
Try to SSH this: ~/umbrel/bin/lncli pendingchannels
It can give some information about channels.