Guide to backing up SSD

Is there a how-to guide to backing up everything on my SSD (with the latest update)?

Anything?

Bump?

We do need a guild on the best backup strategy.

Recently I spent a couple of days to migrate my SSD from 2tb to 4gb. BTW, you can not directly boot from Umbrelos from SSD larger than 2tb since Rasspberry only supports MBR.
Basically it is a backup and restore process. I am sharing steps what worked for me and hope it is useful to somebody.

I created three tar backup for:
~/umbrel/app-data/bitcoin size about 650GB
~/umbrel/app-data/electrs size about 65GB

everything under ~/umbrel but excluding above two directories, also I excluded anything from my download directory /home/umbrel/umbrel/data/storage/downloads/

1 stop Umbrelos
2. tar above three files to external USB (tar bitcoin data takes a long time and my terminal window got disconnected after several hours on the first try, I installed/used screen utility on my second try. )
3. power off Umbrel
4. install new SSD to board (warning: anything on the SSD will be AUTOMATICALLY wiped out unpon boot from SD! I lost a 4tb data because I am not aware this)
5. boot from SD and do a new set up of Umbrel to the new SSD
6. Stop Umbrelos
7. transfer or hook up external usb drive where three tar files were saved on step 2
8. restore tar backup to the new SSD. It will overwrite the current directory structure.
9. Start Umbrelos and everything worked. The whole process could take whole day to complete.
10. I saved above three tar files for the future restore when needed.

1 Like

Thank you for this! This is exactly what I was looking for…I’ll report back the results

So I am having trouble creating the .tar file; if I SSH into my umbrel on a Windows machine, am I using Windows syntax or Linux syntax to create the file (it seems they are different). To be clear, I am trying to migrate/backup my data from my current Umbrel SSD to another (blank) SSD connected to my computer on the D: drive

If you SSH to Umbrel box, you are on the Linux.
In my case,

I am mounting my backup disk unter /mnt/data/backup, so the command doing tar backup is

cd /mnt/data/backup
sudo tar -cvzf umbrel_bitconbackup.tar.gz ~/umbrel/app-data/bitcoin