Error: Failed to connect external drive

Sounds very weird, but in case of the ‘Failed to connect to external drive’ (which occurs when I have a power outage) this solves it everytime for me;

• shutdown Umbrel
  • disconnect and reconnect SSD from USB port
  • start Umbrel
2 Likes

Hi everyone,

this is the solution !!! … so easy … and i was so lost.

I’ve set up node quite easily (have ArgonOne case + M2 extension within 1TB sata)
I’d left Umbrel syncing the bitcoin blockchain during the night, but what a surprice next day. I’ve found there is an error on dashboard page, probably due to fail with power supply (even i use original Raspberry USB3 Power Plug). So I’ve restarted a node, but it couldn’t upload itself - have this message Error: Failed to connect external drive. … uff so I’ve repeated the restart process several time, I’ve startes to digging into ssh, how to repair corrupted ext4 drives from windows, from linux, installed several distribution of them on my Raspberry Pi 4 , intended to connect external SSD throug several diferent cables, etc … just one word for all this : the HELL … nothing help

than as ultimate attempt I 've mounted original setup and found the last post in this community forum and repeated it :

• shutdown Umbrel
  • disconnect and reconnect SSD from USB port
  • start Umbrel

and it worked as a charm, thank you!

1 Like

Sorry to say, but problem with M2 case extension pack from Argon40 still persist … looking for the solution :frowning:

This solution worked for me as well, oddly enough. Could also be that I’m now using a different USB port after shutting down, unplugging, and plugging back in

Hi, where did you find a USB cable that goes from USB 3 to USB 3.1?