Can not connect to Umbrel server

hello everyone/anyone. I have late 2021 raspberry pi4 with ssb 1tb and 8 gb ram … had been running over a year no problems with the PI4 - just umbrel occassionally. one day after not trying to logon for weeks i tried and could not connect. This is the error message i get:
“We can’t connect to the server at umbrel.local.”
I notice the pi4 is not blinking that bright blue light it used to.

I’m pretty sure i have to reload umbrel and do the whole process over again. I have my recovery phrase. Is there something to do with the pi4 first?
Any suggestions before i try?
I’m not real technical but I can follow directions.

1 Like

I got problems with getting the login screen but when I use the local ip address 192.168.etc…. in the browser I could login. Also I could use a tor browser to login. You need the onion address for doing that. I hope this will help at least to login and reboot your Umbrel. Otherwise I think you have to do a hard reset. After that I usually reinstall Umbrel on the sd-card. Al the crypto data is stored on the SSD drive so no worries about that. Hope this helps.

yes it helps! TY!
I ended up getting new microsd card and flashed it and did reboot …

everything is fine - came right back up … bitcoin synched up overnight 100% … all my sats still in my LND wallet/node … did not need to use recovery seed phrase.

Can you tell what you did?

Hello again - I fixed my problem. I decided to get a new 32 GB SanDisk microsd card with a card reader. I followed instructions on Umbrel website for the Raspberry Pi4 - downloaded latest Umbrel OS, - 0.5.3 - flashed microsd using balena etcher and did reboot … everything is fine - came right back up.

My bitcoin node synched up overnight 100% … all my sats still in my LND wallet/node … I did not need to use recovery seed phrase.

Yes, that is what I did too. I am not sure that not able to get a login screen is a problem of a corrupt micro sd-card though but a new micro sd-card with a fresh install of Umbrel is always good I think.

Did you try to login with the IP-address in the browser? That worked here.

I am not a technician also but I have played with Linux for a while. I remember that you had to fill in the hostname of the machine in a file called HOSTNAME and then restart init.d or hostd, something like that. I don’t know anymore. I played with Redhat at that time and it was a long time ago. On Umbrel I can’t find hostd.

Anyway, glad to read that you are up and running again.