Bitcoin node doesn't start up. help

HI,
I am having a (big ?) problem with my umbrel node. don’t know what happened. not working for a week now. i stopped umbrel, restarted it, rebooted, removed some apps to make sure there is enougth memory (I have 8M) . rebooted again ( usual fix !). still nothing.

my node is on a mini pc running ubuntu.

i start umbrel (the User interface) all right. Then I start the bitcoin node app. it just stay there syncing back and fourth . in “starting” mode…of course the LN apps stops in the midle of launching, since the bitcoin node is not operational.
i waited overnight to see if eventually he would catch up with something …? but same in the morning.
just in case i looked on a terminal window on the mini pc/ubuntu for a bitcoind process. can’t find any ( don 't know if there should be one actually but i thought so and was looking for some kind of process to prove bitcoin core is running)
any idea ? i am starting to worry a bit … for my funds.
Thanks for your help

ps there is another topic with that pb. it says remove all apps but bitcoin and ligtning. I do that too right now. hope since it worked for someone and i appreciate the post, but rather little hope. since i think mini pc aren’t bothered by memory size or cpu-power …

We need a log file. Otherwise it’s hard to help you

Have the same issue here - been running with no issue for two plus years; new flashed card, run regular maintenance

Hi all
thanks for the answsers. i did put it back to work.Here it is if it may help others.

there was a corrupted file : settings.json.
i didn’t write to it but obviously something tried.
could it be while changing the advanced parameters on the bitcoin or lightning umbrel apps ? i don’t know but … i am not going to use that anymore myself.

the json.settings file is here ( for me) : ~/umbrel/app-data/bitcoin/data/bitcoin

it was empty with no {}. and couldn’t be read. so it continously tried to read it but was stuck there.
i put the {} intot the file and saved it. I believe a json file needs it. even if empty

it then restarted fine. got back the missing blocks ( took several hours because a week had gone by)
i had 7 forcedcloses … which is not nice since my node was not very active by the time the problem arrived.
i am worried about that , it happens too often. and cost too much, especially those days.

now avout the investigation to find that problem :
this could be found looking athe umbrel “settings” then “troubleshots” section (that is just above “check for updates”) section. very usefull. it generates logs and it shows where something is wrong. well it did for me. that is , i understand it now, certainly what you were refering at rieger_san. thnaks for the clue.

so good work Umbrel for that option.
not so sure about the other advanced settings one…

thanks again all.
hope this helps someone else with a similar problem.

My bitcoin node is stuck “starting” as well. Looks like json…settings are corrupted but I’m not sure exactly what/how to correct. on RPI so ssh

Docker containers

NAMES STATUS
bitcoin_server_1 Up 26 minutes
bitcoin_tor_server_1 Up 26 minutes
bitcoin_i2pd_daemon_1 Up 26 minutes
bitcoin_bitcoind_1 Restarting (1) 19 seconds ago
bitcoin_app_proxy_1 Up 26 minutes
bitcoin_tor_1 Up 26 minutes
nginx Up 26 minutes
auth Up 26 minutes
manager Up 26 minutes
dashboard Up 26 minutes
tor_server Up 26 minutes
tor_proxy Up 26 minutes

bitcoin

Attaching to bitcoin_server_1, bitcoin_tor_server_1, bitcoin_i2pd_daemon_1, bitcoin_bitcoind_1, bitcoin_app_proxy_1, bitcoin_tor_1
bitcoind_1 | Error: Settings file could not be read:
bitcoind_1 | - Unable to parse settings file /data/.bitcoin/settings.json