Umbrel Not Responding on IP or local DNS

Every few days or so, my umbrel stops responding to requests. In these cases, it doesn’t respond through any of the following methods:

• umbrel.local
  • directly accessing the umbrel’s IP that was assigned by my router*
  • accessing it via Tailscale

*I have a manual IP assigned to my Umbrel in my router so it’s always the same.

In these cases, the only way to get it to respond again is to unplug it from power and plug it back in.

A few months ago I did a hard reset on my umbrel and restored it–that did not change this behavior, either.

My situation is a bit different from all the other posts I’ve found on this forum as most other users are able to get to their umbrel via the IP address directly. Can anyone help me figure out why this is happening?

Hey happy to assist!

Can I confirm you are on a Raspberry Pi 4, and just to start trying to diagnose the issue here how old is your MicroSD card? This is usually the most common culprit, some are rated with lifespans of 6 months - 1 year so it may be worth to reflash the MicroSD card or use a new one if possible to isolate the issue. Can you also please provide your debug log? You can generate it via System > Troubleshoot > Start and upload the log file. Steps on how to SSH and generate the debug log are also available here: Official Umbrel Troubleshooting Guide and FAQ
If you print the log via the command line you can copy and paste a link from here to share it http://www.pastebin.com for easier review if you don’t want to paste the whole log right onto the forum.
Happy to review and further troubleshoot

Thanks! Yes, this is a Raspberry Pi 4 w/ 4GB of RAM. The MicroSD card was just replaced in December which is when I re-flashed and restored my Umbrel from my seed phrase. I did that in an attempt to resolve this issue but unfortunately no cigar.

I was unable to access my Umbrel by any means, so I unplugged it to cycle the power. After doing so, I generated the attached log file. umbrel-1676489495359-debug.log (55.0 KB)

I have the exact same issue, I pruned my blockchain but decided reset and download the entire block chain again. I’ve flashed umbrel 4 times now and it just will not connect, tried angry IP, I’ve decided to pull it down and sell, I’m sick and tired of trying.

Yeah, Umbrel is great when it works but it’s no fun if (for whatever reason not related to Umbrel itself) the hardware tends to fail every few weeks/months. Recovery is easy and straightforward but the downtime is lame. I’ve had peers close channels on me because of it.

I figured now was as good a time as any to start looking into rolling my own node via Raspibolt’s guide. Once I’m confident enough I’ll probably migrate my channels off of Umbrel, but will keep it running on my Pi because why not.