Umbrel 1.1 on Proxmox

Does someone installed Umbrel 1.1 on proxmox?

I am not so familiar with Proxmox but maybe this helps:

1 Like

Hi, I havenā€™t installed it yet. Planning on doing it later. The general steps would be.

• Download Umrel img.
  • Copy it over to proxmox as an ISO. (if not you may need to mount it as a disk)
  • add disk where you would like to install your OS.(make sure to * boot from Umbrel disk).
  • Boot and install Umbrel.

PS:
I will try this later today and report back.

UmbrelOS runs fine on my virtual machine (Synology/QEMU).

Only issue I ran into is that UmbrelOS somehow only allocated 128MB to use for storage. I canā€™t even install one app. Everything else seems to work fine. Anyone having the same issue?

Trying to boot up GParted and resizing the partitions.

Hi,

I managed to get Umbrel running on Proxmox as a VM. The entire thing took maybe 15mins. My process was.

• Download Umrel img.
  • Unzip with 7zip.
  • Write to flash drive with BelenaEtcher.
  • Pass flash drive through to MV in Proxmox
  • Set flash drive as boot disk
  • boot, select install disk.
1 Like

No luck here, just hangs of booting from hard disk after booting from USB :frowning:

@5hack what configuration did you use for your VM. CPU / Disk etc?

These are my VM settings.

1 Like

@5hack You absolute legend used wrong BIOS needed the UEFI one but i am getting a warning saying I need to install efi disk. Not really sure about this Iā€™m new to proxmox my setup is basic is this going to be a problem

Okay, so Iā€™ve just signed-up to help you (maybe lol)

Just got it working, itā€™s important to use UEFI (with EFI disk for uefi storage ofc) and disable secure boot:
ESC (as soon as you see the proxmox logo) > Device Manager > Secure Boot Configuration > Attempt Secure Boot - press space to remove the X

Just exit / reset and it should reboot straight into the installer

@pierreschwang Haha Thanks I appreciate that.

I did check the setting itā€™s already unchecked and itā€™s greyed out anyway.

Not sure the VM will boot even if I manage to install umbrel

I came across these threads, looks like such a ballache gonna be a long night :sweat_smile: :frowning:

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/OVMF/UEFI_Boot_Entries

It should boot, the EFI disk is only relevant for storing settings of the UEFI - so without one, changes are not persisted across reboots - but that shouldnā€™t be a deal-breaker for the installation itself (especially if your host does not support secure boot)

Ah ok well Iā€™m pretty sure it should support secure boot.

Say hello to my little friend haha. 13900H + 96GB (Yes 2x48DDR5) RAM 4TB Samsung 990 Pro

Might work if i can get the damn thing to turn off keep getting this with VMā€™s its driving me nuts

Just use the dropdown button right next to ā€œShutdownā€ in the top bar and select ā€œStopā€
Go into the hardware, remove the USB device and edit the boot order (enable the scsi drive and put it at the top)

1 Like

Yes stop is usually the one that that works if no QEMU.

SHEā€™s ALIVE!!! ah its been 2 years since I had an umbrel node up and running so happy right now its good to be back!

Thank you @pierreschwang and thank you @5hack

PS does anyone know the terminal login?

Default is umbrel / umbrel

1 Like

Iā€™ve just singed-up to say you are the GOAT
Thank you !

What URL are you opening? Iā€™m trying http://127.0.0.1/, umbrel.local etc and getting site not availableā€¦ my VM boots after the installation

Thank you! That worked for me :slight_smile: