Stuck at startimg umbrel screen + POSSIBLE DNS SPOOFING DETECTED

Hi all,

I’ve have been havig problems with my node latelly. A few weeks ago It suddenly stopped working and I could not acces Umbrel any more. Since then I have:

· Cleaned SD from both Umbrel + Raspbian and reinstalled everyting again: no luck.
· Tried with umbrel 3.0 version: no luck.
· Changed the power cable in the raspberry: no luck.
· Even deleted and cleaned the external hard dics (despite I know i have to download the whole blockchain again…): no luck.

The last message I gof from my node, after connecting trough ssh, was:

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@ WARNING: POSSIBLE DNS SPOOFING DETECTED! @
The ECDSA host key for umbrel.local has changed,
and the key for the corresponding IP address fe80::860e:8ba4:aeb9:114b%18
is unknown. This could either mean that
DNS SPOOFING is happening or the IP address for the host
and its host key have changed at the same time.
@ WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED! @
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that a host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the ECDSA key sent by the remote host is
SHA256:iGRd2F7K8hJjvNztiBIziAJ2izns0kiTcntyKqSCoTU.
Please contact your system administrator.
Add correct host key in C:\Users\mares/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
Offending ECDSA key in C:\Users\mares/.ssh/known_hosts:1
ECDSA host key for umbrel.local has changed and you have requested strict checking.
Host key verification failed.

This is a huge mess, and I have spent lots of hours now on that. I might buy all the new hardware and start from scracth.

Any one could suggest something? Thanks!

Do not buy new hardware

Go to this community forum and you will find the answer you are looking for.

Basically what happened is, when you first secure-shelled into umbrel you typed ‘yes’ to a question. That question asked if you wanted to add umbrel to your computer’s list of known hosts. Now that you reflashed umbrel your computer sees a dif file and thinks something is up. I had the same issue.

I am on a Mac computer, so not sure about Windows (if different), but you need to remove umbrel from your known host file. Just go into terminal/powershell (of your comp, not umbrel) and type:

nano ~/.ssh/known_hosts

That will bring you to a primitive looking text editor that looks like this:

Delete all of the text in the umbrel.local section, and then press control+x to exit and then y when it asks you to save, and then enter key.

You can now ssh back into your umbrel because you don’t have a conflicting known host file.

1 Like

Hi, cam.

Thanks for your help.

I finnaly could manage to acces the node again, wich was a relief. However now I am even moren scared as I do not see my previous btc I had there in order to run LN. I had to erase all the external disc, as I think the problem was coming from there, so I have to download again all the blockchain. I hope to see, once is all downloaed, my funs again.

Thanks anyway.