Raspberry Pi issues on 1.0

Most users seem to be updating fine but there’s a small number of Pi users that appear to be having issues. We did test the update on Pi 4 extensively and didn’t encounter this issue ourselves, the team has been trying to recreate it but we’re unable to. I’m really sorry again for the inconvenience, completely understand the frustration.

We’re currently investigating further, it’s our top priority right now.

For anyone hitting this issue I’d really appreciate some more information so we can try understand what’s going on :pray:.

Could you let me know:

• What power supply you’re using
  • What SSD you’re using
  • What microSD card you’re using
  • How many GB of RAM your Pi has

As much information as possible would be great.

If I could also get a look at the logs for mounting USB storage that would be really helpful.

You can SSH into your Umbrel with ssh umbrel@umbrel.local

The password will be reset to umbrel after an SD card reflash if you’ve not yet been able to login via the dashboard.

Can you then run:

sudo journalctl -u umbrel-external-storage --no-pager

and paste the output here.

Also for anyone needing to get back to 0.5.4 immediately, you do not need to wipe the data. All your data is still there it’s just that it can’t quite be read by the old 0.5.4 Umbrel after running through the 1.0 migrations.

If you’ve flashed back to 0.5.4 and your apps and starting the following command should get you back in a state that 0.5.4 can boot and load apps correctly:

mv umbrel/.env.migrated umbrel/.env
mv umbrel/db/user.json.migrated umbrel/db/user.json
sudo reboot
2 Likes

Rasp Pi 4
power supply - recommended Raspberry power adapter
SSD – Samsung - 2 Tb SSD
microSD - SanDisk 32 Gb
GB of RAM - 8 GB

SSH output " umbrel@umbrel:~$ sudo journalctl -u umbrel-external-storage --no-pager

[sudo] password for umbrel:

Jan 26 21:48:38 umbrel systemd[1]: Starting umbrel-external-storage.service - External Storage Mounter…

Jan 26 21:48:38 umbrel external storage mounter[236]: Running external storage mount script…

Jan 26 21:48:40 umbrel external storage mounter[236]: Found device “Samsung Portable SSD T5”

Jan 26 21:48:40 umbrel external storage mounter[236]: Checking if partition exsts before blacklisting USB device IDs against UAS driver…

Jan 26 21:48:40 umbrel external storage mounter[236]: Partition exists

Jan 26 21:48:40 umbrel external storage mounter[236]: Blacklisting USB device IDs against UAS driver…

Jan 26 21:48:40 umbrel external storage mounter[236]: Rebinding USB drivers…

Jan 26 21:48:40 umbrel external storage mounter[236]: Checking USB devices are back…

Jan 26 21:48:40 umbrel external storage mounter[236]: Waiting for USB devices…

Jan 26 21:48:42 umbrel external storage mounter[236]: Waiting for USB devices…

Jan 26 21:48:43 umbrel external storage mounter[236]: Waiting for USB devices…

Jan 26 21:48:44 umbrel external storage mounter[236]: Waiting for USB devices…

Jan 26 21:48:45 umbrel external storage mounter[236]: Waiting for USB devices…

Jan 26 21:48:46 umbrel external storage mounter[236]: Waiting for USB devices…

Jan 26 21:48:47 umbrel external storage mounter[236]: Waiting for USB devices…

Jan 26 21:48:48 umbrel external storage mounter[236]: Waiting for USB devices…

Jan 26 21:48:49 umbrel external storage mounter[236]: Waiting for USB devices…

Jan 26 21:48:50 umbrel external storage mounter[236]: USB devices weren’t registered after 10 tries…

Jan 26 21:48:50 umbrel external storage mounter[236]: Exiting mount script without doing anything

Jan 26 21:48:50 umbrel systemd[1]: umbrel-external-storage.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE

Jan 26 21:48:50 umbrel systemd[1]: umbrel-external-storage.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.

Jan 26 21:48:50 umbrel systemd[1]: Failed to start umbrel-external-storage.service - External Storage Mounter."

1 Like

Its slow and cpu is at 97% at all times. But im able to get in and synce bitcoin core and use some apps. My main problem is LND not loading fully so i cant connect to it. My zues says RPC services not available. Im going to pick up a pi5 and see if that fixes it without losing anthing.

Im using a samsung 2tb ssd.
Offical power supply.
8 gb ram
16 gb sd card (sandisk edge. Hc i A1 10)

The logs: Garuda's PrivateBin

1 Like

RPI 5 with 8GB Memory
Sandisk 64GB Micro SD card
Geekworm X1001 PCIe M.2 Key-M NVMe PCIe Board
Crucial P3 Plus 2TB PCIe Gen4 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD
DROK Buck Converter 12v to 5v, 5A USB Voltage Regulator

UmbrelOS 1.0 installs on the Micro card and I can access the UI, but it doesn’t show any PCIe based SSD (can’t see the 2TB drive) so UI reports the Micro SD drive only. I’ve opened an issue on the GitHub page, and updated the “UmbrelOS 1.0 Only Reads MicroSD storage” thread.

Dead in the water until this is resolved. Claiming RPi 5 support without supporting and/or testing the new PCI 2.0 interface for storage, which is one of the main speed improvements for the Pi 5, is kind of a bummer. I’m sure you’re all very busy with the roll out, but dang…

Everything functions normally if I flash the RPi with Bookworm…so it’s not a hardware issue…

Hey guys we have a new SDcard image that resolves the USB storage issues on the Pi 4. Thanks so much for bearing with us, instructions here: How to update to umbrelOS 1.0 - #83 by lukechilds

1 Like

Totally agree, NVMe support on Pi 5 is a high priority for us!

FYI

Also for anyone needing to get back to 0.5.4 immediately, you do not need to wipe the data. All your data is still there it’s just that it can’t quite be read by the old 0.5.4 Umbrel after running through the 1.0 migrations.

Reverted to 0.5.4 and was hit with a startup error accessing umbrel via wifi.

Going to try 1.0.1 with WIFI in hopes it works – Update DID NOT
Reformatted microSSD and flashed 0.5.4 w WIFI – running but error on start via browser

If you’ve flashed back to 0.5.4 and your apps and starting the following command should get you back in a state that 0.5.4 can boot and load apps correctly

Cannot log in via SSH.

Using username “umbrel”.
umbrel@umbrel.local’s password: umbrel or my old password isn’t recognized

I’ve DMd you with some instructions @dannycheeko

Awsome the update did fix most of the problems on pi4

I’ve switched from NVMe to USB3 but things still don’t work. I have a couple of other thread that get into details but no one from Umbrel is responding. Here is the hardware I’m using now…

Processor: RPi 5 with 8 GB RAM.
Micro SD Card: SanDisk Extreme microSDXC 64gb A2 card (ASIN B07FCMBLV6).
USB3 SSD: Crucial P3 Plus 2TB PCIe Gen4 3D NAND NVMe m.2 SSD (ASIN B0B25ML2FH) mounted in an SSK M.2 NVMe SSD enclosure (USB 3.2 Gen 2 to NVMe PCI-e) (ASIN B07MNFH1PX).

In the other thread (in the trouble shooting section) I provide logs and various other info. It’s pretty clear from the logs that the Umbrel Kernel is having a problem with the 2 TB USB3 drive. Help!

Hi Luke, this is my current setup

Raspberry Pi 27 PSU
Samsung 990 Pro 4 TB NVMe SSD
SanDisk 16 GB
8 GB RAM
On Pi 5

I also have the Pimoroni NVMe base HAT which the SSD is connected to. Before this, the setup was working fine with Pi 4, 8 GB RAM and the same 4 TB SSD but in an enclosure instead of the HAT. NVMe Base for Raspberry Pi 5 - NVMe Base

I flashed Umbrel 1.0 to the SD card and booted up, I thought it had corrupted the drive, but instead it set the main boot as the SD card. As in the SSD that is connected wasn’t being recognised so, I used the HAT instead of the encloser for the second attempt, but that didn’t work either. I ended up formatting the SSD and starting fresh, this hasn’t worked thus far. I’ve been trying to rsync the SD card to the SSD in an attempt for it to boot from the SSD instead of the SD card (yes I set the boot order from USB/NVMe to NVMe/USB) but it still hasn’t worked (for another project I’m working on it does work, but I’m using Raspbian Raspberry Pi OS, and it works fine.)

My latest attempt was flashing Raspbian to the SSD, then re-flashing Umbrel to the SD card. I tried to use rsync to copy the system files from SD to SSD and set the boot order to NVMe/USB but, I haven’t been able to boot from NVMe. Every time I boot, it boots from mSD card not NVMe SSD.