Pi-hole not blocking traffic after app re-install

Hi folks,

The other day I noticed the “update available” messages at the bottom of the pi-hole dashboard and had the bright idea to uninstall/re-install pi-hole on my umbrel to see if it would grab the latest versions of everything. After doing this, my pi-hole is no longer blocking traffic. I have my router configured to use the Umbrel for DNS, so nothing’s changed there. I even see all of my queries going through…it’s simply refusing to block anything. Any suggestions about how I might fix this?

BTW I absolutely love this thing!!

After more google-fu I fixed this issue by following the guidance here.

Cheers!

1 Like

I’ve the same issue, but it never started running in my case…

DO you mind providing a bit more details on the process (maybe in a step-by-step fashion) for us newbies to fix this issue?

Checked the link you shared but still not 100% clear to me… for example, how (which command) do I I need to edit the /etc/resolv.conf file?

Thanks in advance

These are the exact steps I took…but I barely know what I’m doing myself, so YMMV. I’ll also add that my Umbrel was hard-booted due to a power outage and the issue started again! This time I was able to fix it by entering the IP address of my Umbrel in /etc/resolv.conf rather than localhost 127.0.0.1. Anyway, here goes:

1. Downloadd and install PuTTY from here
  2. Enter the IP address of your Umbrel in the hostname field of PuTTY, leave everything else as default and hit “open”
  3. login as userid “umbrel” and use the password you set
  4. type sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf and enter your umbrel password again
  5. my entries are:
    nameserver 192.168.1.137
    nameserver 192.168.1.1

The first entry is the static IP address of the Umbrel on my local network. The second entry is my router’s IP. After you make updates, hit ctrl-o to write and ctrl-x to exit.

1. type sudo nano /etc/resolvconf.conf

Near the top you will see blue text preceeded by “#” above the name_servers line.

1. delete the “#” that proceeds the name_servers line so that it looks like:
    name_servers=192.168.1.137

Again, remember to modify the above address so that it matches your Umbrel which is almost certainly not 137. After you make updates, hit ctrl-o to write and ctrl-x to exit.

1. restart the Umbrel

I hope this helps!

1 Like

Well, I clearly don’t know what I’m doing although I do feel as though I’m on the right track… Anyway, I recently upgraded to Umbrel 0.5.0 and in order to do so, had to re-install Pi-Hole and the rest of my apps. Pi Hole stopped blocking again after that update. I followed my own steps above and it didn’t work.

I kept experimenting though and after changing the steps as below (but still following the rest of my guidance in the previous post,) it started working again:

Replace the updates made in steps 4 and 5 with only this:
nameserver 127.0.0.1

…and step 7 with only this:
name_servers=127.0.0.1

Cheers!