MAC M1- Umbrel disk 100GB of 1 TB SSD

Hello,
I’ve finally got a setup of Umbrel on my M1 MAC with a SSD SanDisk 1 TB.

The problem is that on total storage umbrel recognizes only 105GB…
Im new to this, but the config on Fusion player (Ubuntu) was set to around 900GB…

What may be the problem here?
It should appear 900 GB approx. right?

Thanks in advance!

Is there by chance a setting in fusion player that expands the virtual machine disk as needed to minimize impact on host storage?

the setting for virtual disk is 945 GB i think partition wise is ok, altought it would not open umbrel i guess…but yes there is an option for USB devices thats unchecked for the external disk but i don’t know how to make it work.

I definitely think this is a challenge of running as a virtual machine on your local machine, I haven’t used fusion before but a lot times when running a vm on a local machine the storage files system size will be treated as a max file size and it won’t actually make that capacity visible right away. I would look for advanced options under the partition and see if there is a way to set the partition Type to something like “dedicated”. Screenshots of your options could help

Is that ok? I manage to connect the external SSD to VM but I think it doesn’t recognizes…

from here ill try to boot again ubuntu (with SSD connect as the image shows) another option would be welcome :smiley:
Thanks!

can I manage here something different or is that all okay?

Thanks again.

!correction! I’ve plugged the external SSD, set the ubuntu-lv to 900Gb and Umbrel recognizes the storage of 1 TB but as soon as I started the node sync i spotted that was writing on Mac hard drive :smirk: what should I do?

Interesting, I’ll do some reading on fusion and come back to you!

1 Like

So im drawing from last experience with Vmware here, but, from what I remember you had to create a ‘Datastore’ on the drive then select that datastore when creating the vm to make that its root drive, i suspect what has happened is you have attached the external to the vm as a USB device vs made the VMs root drive live on the external.

this topic over on the vmware forums seems relevant

but if you can only help on this sentence : “Basically you delete the VM (choose keep) from the VM library, then move (or copy) the VM to your external disk and register it again (File -> Open)”
Not sure what means delete the VM and then move ( how do I move if I delete it? )

Thanks a lot again!

it works perfectly :slight_smile: its just to move the file from library and start from external SSD.

thanks man !

1 Like