Location of channel.backup on OS 0.5.0?

Need some help please.
After restoring my Raspberry Pi4 with 1TB SSD from a hardware crash, I am unable to SCP my channel.backup file to my Umbrel running 0.5.0. I keep getting the error, “No such file or directory” and file does not copy. When I try to browse to to the /home/umbrel/umbrel/lnd/channel.backup file, it does not exist. Can someone please tell me what I’m missing?

This is the terminal error i receive:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
scp /Users/DesertPC/Desktop/channel.backup umbrel@umbrel.local:/home/umbrel/umbrel/lnd/channel.backup
umbrel@umbrel.local’s password:
/Users/DesertPC/Desktop/channel.backup: No such file or directory
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The backup file is being dragged and dropped into terminal window so the path should be good.
Any ideas?

Dave

For what it’s worth, I found it here:

/home/umbrel/umbrel/app-data/lightning/data/lnd_backup/data/chain/bitcoin/mainnet/

You can use `find . -name “channel.backup” to find it yourself.

Thanks so much Nigu!
I’m differently on the right path now.
I have found the channel.backup file but I am still getting the error in terminal every time I try to copy it.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Last login: Mon Jun 20 23:44:54 2022 from 10.0.1.18
umbrel@umbrel:~ $ scp /Users/DesertPC/Desktop/channel.backup umbrel@umbrel.local:/umbrel/app-data/lightning/data/lnd/data/chain/bitcoin/mainnet
umbrel@umbrel.local’s password:
/Users/DesertPC/Desktop/channel.backup: No such file or directory
umbrel@umbrel:~ $
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am using a iMac and dragging and dropping the backup file directly into the terminal window to generate the path. Not sure why I’m getting the error. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Dave

I am trying the opposite, which is to take the channel.backup file from umbrel to my Macbook.
I also cannot cd to home/umbrel/umbrel/lnd/channel.backup after ssh into my umbrel.

Not sure if I use correct command syntax. Pls help advise.

Thanks,

@lost_knight: You should probably use /home/… (you need to add the first backslash)
@OrangePill21: it’s because the file does not exist in the path you are specifying locally. Maybe cd into that folder to check.

I am not from Umbrel, just came here because I’m having issues myself.

I did add the backslash and the result unchanged.

When I ls umbrel, it does not show any lnd folder.

I used the “ls” command to list the files in each folder and the “cd” to change directories. With this, I was able to find the channel.backup file at the following location:

/umbrel/app-data/lightning/data/lnd/data/chain/bitcoin/mainnet

Once there, with the LS command, you can see the channel.backup file.
See if that helps.

1 Like

It does help. But i need to add “~” before the path. My full path is “~/umbrel/app-data/lightning/data/lnd/data/chain/bitcoin/mainnet”.
I see the backup channel file but not too sure if it it the file of the previous lightning node instance or of the current instance. Because I reinstalled lightning immediately after realizing my mistake and downloaded a channel backup file already.

By the way, mayak replied and I provided him my backup ID. Will keep you posted.

1 Like

I still not yet received the channel.backup file from @mayank

Sorry about that @lost_knight. It looks like no backup exists for the backup ID I received. I think it’s probably because it’s your new backup ID. Can you please DM me your previous backup ID? You can get it by running this on your Umbrel:

SEED="absorb salt terrific home..."

(Replace the words with your 24 words, all separated by a space)

Then run this and it would output your backup ID:

printf "%s" "umbrel_backup_id" | openssl dgst -sha256 -hmac "$SEED"

Sent it to you in DM @mayank

Hi @mayank

I am still waiting for your help on the most recent backup file. I sent you the old backup ID.

Thanks,

@mayank, help me with my latest 2 questions.

Thanks,