Failed to Start Hostname Service ==>>> Can't umbrel

Good day all,
I am writing because I haven’t been able to access my umbrel via Tor for a while now. I have read this guide pretty thoroughly but so far have not found a solution.

The issue as far as I can tell is during bootup, I see an error message “[FAILED] Failed to start hostname service” Then, a few more (12) commands are executed with the [OK] tag. The last command executed is “started containerd container runtime”

It goes on with
Debian GNULinux 10 Umbrel tty1
Umbrel login:

If I try to http to the umbrel port found using Angry Ip scanner I get a screen showing a red Umbrella that says Error: System service failed
something went wrong when starting umbrel. Need Help? feel free to jump on our community forum, or… and anyways here I am.
Google has tried to help when I type in that error message but it appears google only knows about that error message happening to generic Linux builds that are not associated with umbrel as far as I can tell.

I am also able to SSH to it, and look at the directories and files if needed.

I have tried to flash a new SD card, and restore my umbrel and lightning channels, but I must not be doing something correctly down that path, and the apps like thunder hub, Lightning terminal that I used to use to work with my channels and Satoshi balance will not load. I feel like I’m just going down rabbit holes along that line of investigation, so i decided to go back to the original SD card, and see I can find a solution to Hostname service error. So for now I’d like to limit the debug focus to resolving the hostname service problem.

Hey @rassalas

Sorry to hear about your issue here.
So as I understand umbrel.local is not working, and when you use the IP address instead you get the ‘Error: System service failed’ screen.

If possible, can you please run sudo ~/umbrel/scripts/debug and share the output here.

Yes, please see below:

= Umbrel debug info =

Umbrel version

Flashed OS version

v0.4.4

Raspberry Pi Model

Revision : d03114
Serial : 10000000a1b0157c
Model : Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.4

Firmware

Sep 28 2021 11:27:35
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 778b6a4f3c7d8d48bb63c02c47bcfbac79417bea (clean) (release) (start)

Temperature

temp=39.4’C

Throttling

throttled=0x0

Memory usage

total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available

Mem: 7.8G 156M 6.7G 382M 932M 7.2G
Swap: 4.1G 0B 4.1G

total: 2.0%
system: 2%
thunderhub: 0%
mempool: 0%
lnmarkets: 0%
lndg: 0%
lightning-terminal: 0%
lightning-shell: 0%
lightning: 0%
krystal-bull: 0%
electrs: 0%
core-lightning: 0%
bitcoin: 0%

Memory monitor logs

2019-02-14 10:30:27 Memory monitor running!
2019-02-14 10:30:40 Memory monitor running!
2019-02-14 10:30:54 Memory monitor running!
2019-02-14 10:31:07 Memory monitor running!
2019-02-14 10:31:21 Memory monitor running!
2019-02-14 10:31:34 Memory monitor running!
2019-02-14 10:31:47 Memory monitor running!
2019-02-14 10:32:01 Memory monitor running!
2019-02-14 10:32:14 Memory monitor running!
2019-02-14 10:32:28 Memory monitor running!

Filesystem information

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 29G 29G 0 100% /
/dev/sda1 916G 626G 244G 72% /home/umbrel/umbrel

Startup service logs

Feb 15 00:48:12 umbrel systemd[1]: Stopped Umbrel Startup Service.
Feb 15 00:48:12 umbrel systemd[1]: Starting Umbrel Startup Service…
Feb 15 00:48:12 umbrel umbrel startup[9359]: /home/umbrel/umbrel/scripts/…/scripts/umbrel-os/status-server/set-status: line 31: echo: write error: No space left on device
Feb 15 00:48:12 umbrel systemd[1]: umbrel-startup.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Feb 15 00:48:12 umbrel systemd[1]: umbrel-startup.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Feb 15 00:48:12 umbrel systemd[1]: Failed to start Umbrel Startup Service.
Feb 15 00:48:23 umbrel systemd[1]: umbrel-startup.service: Service RestartSec=10s expired, scheduling restart.
Feb 15 00:48:23 umbrel systemd[1]: umbrel-startup.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5099.
Feb 15 00:48:23 umbrel systemd[1]: Stopped Umbrel Startup Service.
Feb 15 00:48:23 umbrel systemd[1]: Starting Umbrel Startup Service…
Feb 15 00:48:23 umbrel umbrel startup[9427]: /home/umbrel/umbrel/scripts/…/scripts/umbrel-os/status-server/set-status: line 31: echo: write error: No space left on device
Feb 15 00:48:23 umbrel systemd[1]: umbrel-startup.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Feb 15 00:48:23 umbrel systemd[1]: umbrel-startup.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Feb 15 00:48:23 umbrel systemd[1]: Failed to start Umbrel Startup Service.
Feb 15 00:48:33 umbrel systemd[1]: umbrel-startup.service: Service RestartSec=10s expired, scheduling restart.
Feb 15 00:48:33 umbrel systemd[1]: umbrel-startup.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5100.
Feb 15 00:48:33 umbrel systemd[1]: Stopped Umbrel Startup Service.
Feb 15 00:48:33 umbrel systemd[1]: Starting Umbrel Startup Service…
Feb 15 00:48:33 umbrel umbrel startup[9895]: /home/umbrel/umbrel/scripts/…/scripts/umbrel-os/status-server/set-status: line 31: echo: write error: No space left on device
Feb 15 00:48:33 umbrel systemd[1]: umbrel-startup.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Feb 15 00:48:33 umbrel systemd[1]: umbrel-startup.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Feb 15 00:48:33 umbrel systemd[1]: Failed to start Umbrel Startup Service.
Feb 15 00:48:43 umbrel systemd[1]: umbrel-startup.service: Service RestartSec=10s expired, scheduling restart.
Feb 15 00:48:43 umbrel systemd[1]: umbrel-startup.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5101.
Feb 15 00:48:43 umbrel systemd[1]: Stopped Umbrel Startup Service.
Feb 15 00:48:43 umbrel systemd[1]: Starting Umbrel Startup Service…
Feb 15 00:48:43 umbrel umbrel startup[10532]: /home/umbrel/umbrel/scripts/…/scripts/umbrel-os/status-server/set-status: line 31: echo: write error: No space left on device
Feb 15 00:48:43 umbrel systemd[1]: umbrel-startup.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Feb 15 00:48:43 umbrel systemd[1]: umbrel-startup.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Feb 15 00:48:43 umbrel systemd[1]: Failed to start Umbrel Startup Service.

External storage service logs

– Logs begin at Thu 2019-02-14 21:58:03 UTC, end at Fri 2019-02-15 00:48:43 UTC. –
– No entries –

External storage SD card update service logs

– Logs begin at Thu 2019-02-14 21:58:03 UTC, end at Fri 2019-02-15 00:48:43 UTC. –
– No entries –

Karen logs

karen is running in /home/umbrel/umbrel/events

Docker containers

NAMES STATUS

Umbrel logs

Attaching to manager

Tor Proxy logs

Attaching to tor_proxy

App logs

bitcoin

Attaching to

core-lightning

Attaching to

electrs

Attaching to

krystal-bull

Attaching to

lightning

Attaching to

lightning-shell

Attaching to

lightning-terminal

Attaching to

lndg

Attaching to

lnmarkets

Attaching to

mempool

Attaching to

thunderhub

Attaching to

==== Result ====

The debug script did not automatically detect any issues with your Umbrel.
umbrel@umbrel:~ $

Reviewing the above I do see disk space issues, and when I check using df -H I see all 32GB of the SD card appears to be in use.
Now I’m thinking of getting a larger SD card and making a disk image to it, but should the SD card be getting full in the course of running a lightning node with Umbrel? perhaps something isn’t configured correctly, or I’ve got redundancies somewhere.
Please advise

I’m making some progress here. I made a disk image to a larger SD then expanded the partition using gparted on a different rasberry PI, Then replaced the image SD card in the Umbrel Pi, started it, and it appeared to boot up to Umbrel successfully. I was able to SSH to umbrel.local and TOR into the onion address. So some measured success, I gave it a few minutes for the apps to load and then tried to login to the BTC node, thunderhub and lightning terminal, while doing that I noticed that it went into some kind of daily cleanup routine. I was unable to log into the btc node nor thunderhub or lightning terminal. I let it run for a couple hours then shut it down from within the Umbrel app. I plan to boot it up and look into it more later today. So my Satoshis are still elusive, but I wanted to make a note of the progress for the record. BTW I recall an Aussie from earlier BTC days with a similar login handle, and am wondering if I’ve stumbled across an old acquaintance, If so Howdy again!

haha yes that would be me. from twitter i guess?

In terms of your SD card, I would assume it is logs that have filled it up. You can usually fix that by reflashing or with this:

What’s the state of your lightning node now? It may take some time to start working again, as it depends on your bitcoin node being back in-sync.

I think it was a now defunct crypto exchange trollbox. Yes those were the days :wink:

So I’m currently at the state with Umbrel, up and running, (I just got a larger SD Card) but it doesn’t remember, or I messed up the BTC wallet So I can’t connect to it, and since I can’t connect there, I think the lightning apps not working is associated to that. The node should be back in sync by now. I want to restore the wallet, but what I have is the words, ~24 of them but Umbrel is looking for some RPC codes.
I gave it a rest for a few days, but BTC is over 60k today so that lit a fire under my todo list, so I’m diving back into it. I might post more as I go.