Btcpayserver using xpubkey?

When you install BTC pay server from the app store it has the following description

“Payments with BTCPay Server go directly to your wallet, which increases the privacy and security. Your private keys are never uploaded to your Umbrel. There is no address re-use, since each invoice generates a new address deriving from your xpubkey.”

How is it using a xpubkey, I thought Bitcoin Core did not support this?

BTCPay is not solely designed for Umbrel, and that feature is intended for you to connect another wallet to it (such as a hardware wallet) using xpub.

I don’t know if there’s a way to connect your Bitcoin Core wallet to it, but in any case, you probably should not, given as it’s the hottest of hot wallets, and Umbrel themselves state that the software shouldn’t be used to store significant amounts. Pick up a hardware wallet and set that xPub as your wallet on BTCPay.

Also please note that the BTCPay Server built in to Umbrel is effectively useless as it’s hidden behind a Tor address. I’m trying to modify the guide for the LNBits Reverse Proxy and turn it into something we can use to Reverse Proxy BTCPay Server, but I haven’t had any luck yet.

Ah, got it and thank you for the additional information. I never planned to use BTCPayserver as it happens I was genuinely curious about how it had hooked in the Umbrel stack,

Hoping in here as I am also in the process of setting up BTCPayServer.

Am I correct in understanding that Umbrel is not a good choice to use with BTCPayServer (even though it can be installed) because of the TOR usage AND inability to integrate the BTC Core wallet with it?

If that is the case is there another Full Node that can be used with it?

OR, are Full Nodes unadvised and I should instead get a dedicated Hardware Wallet (Ledger, et al) to use with it instead?

Looking to setup donations and payments on my website and overall get familiar.

Thanks!