Bitbox app connection to Umbrel with TLS

Hello All,

I see in the instructions that connecting the Bitbox app to Umbrel requires installing TOR via Homebrew on the Mac.

I don’t need remote access, and would like to access without having to install Homebrew.

How can I connect the BitBox app to the node securely for home network access?

Would umbrel.local:50001 work as the end point?

Where would I find the certificate information for TLS that the app is asking for?

Thanks for the help!

Theoretically it should work, but use IP of your node box instead of umbrel.local. Or at least add in your local host file the IP and umbrel.local so your PC you are accessing from, will know exactly where is located in your network.

But you should follow exactly the instructions from Umbrel connect wallet.
Using Tor service on your PC it doesn’t hurt in any way, is also used for other apps that you maybe you will need (Electrum, Specter, Bluewallet etc).
Even Telegram can be used to run behind that Tor service. It doesn’t use too much resources and is just running in background.

Thanks. I asked the folks over at ShiftCrypto (BitBox makers), and they replied:

port 50001 is only used without TLS. You’d need to ask the Umbrel developers if Umbrel supports TLS via 50002.

Running the tor service on my computer is an option, but I like to keep modifications on my main computer (mine but used for work) to a minimum. I’d like to explore ways to connect over TLS on the home network if possible.

Is opening up port 50002 for TLS more trouble than it’s worth?

It’d be great to have the choice to run over tor to connect or TLS when at home.

Okay, here’s the solution that ended up working.

I didn’t want to install the TOR daemon and have it running in the background and worry about updating it in the future, etc.

There is an option to install the Tor browser and then use the port the Tor browser provides. Then updates to the service are handled when the browser receives its updates.

Here’s a link to BitBox’s instructions to connect to a full node

The gist of it is:

1. Install the Tor browser
  2. In the Bitbox Desktop app Go to Settings > Enable tor proxy
  3. Enter 127.0.0.1:9150
    As I understand it, this allows the Bitbox app to connect to the Tor service provided by your Tor browser. When installing and running only the tor daemon, a different port is used. No need to worry about that if you’re using the browser.
  4. Restart the Bitbox app
  5. In the Bitbox app go to Settings > Connect your own full node
  6. Enter your onion address provided in Umbrel under “Connect Wallet” > Bitbox App
    Please note that this onion address is different than the address for your Umbrel’s web interface.
  7. Make sure you have the port number 50001 Here’s Bitbox’s example of what it should look like: gwdllz5g7vky2q4gr45zGuvopjzf33czreca3a3exosftx72ekppkuqd.onion:50001
    The onion address encrypts your traffic to the node as far as I understand so port 50001 is okay to use.
  8. Click “Check” then “Add”
  9. Remove the two default Bitbox node servers
  10. Restart the app

Hope that helps anyone in a similar situation that doesn’t want to install homebrew on a Mac and manage the Tor service by itself.

The Umbrel instructions in the Connect Wallet show only installing the Tor service instructions. Instead of the BitBox’s website which instructs either installing the Tor service daemon or just installing the browser and using it’s connection to the Tor network. The difference is the port used for the proxy 127.0.0.1:9150 if you have the Tor browser installed and 127.0.0.1:9050 if you have just the daemon installed without the browser.

I’m guessing I need the browser open when I connect so the service is running. That’s how it’s working now. If I’m missing anything, any suggestions would be welcome, but at last I’m able to get the Bitbox app (and hardware wallet) to use my own full node!