2FA recovery - lost phone no code

I guess you can reset your node, this will not loose any before status if you use same 24 seed words.
Look for in guides how to reset your node.

Solved by the umbrel community.
try this.
json_file="/home/umbrel/umbrel/db/user.json" && contents="$(jq ‘del(.otpUri)’ ${json_file})" && echo “${contents}” > ${json_file}

(After this reactivate 2FA again.)

Thanks to J A M M Y

1 Like

Can you please explain this is layman’s terms? I am locked out of my node as well. New iPhone and for some reason my Google Authenticator is not working when i try it

Doesn’t work. I just tried and think i need to reset umbrel from scratch

where do i put this in? I am not technical…thanks for any help

Hello, can you connect your node by SSH (putty or something else)?
After this you require a root-password, do you have any password?
(if not, then i don’t know.)

I would be happy to try but i have no idea what SSH is. I have a password to the umbrel node, thats easy. The challenge is that I do not have 2FA on my new phone so I cannot get in bc i (Stupidly) enabled 2FA

Download PuTTY: latest release (0.78) (greenend.org.uk)
What kind of OS do you use?
open putty and connect to your hostname or ip-address of your umbrel-node.

i do see the user.json file in the db directory. and at the bottom of that file an “otpUri” that looks like “otpauth://totp/umbrel?secret=blblablabla&period=30&digits=6&algorithm=SHA1&issue=getumbrel.com
what shall i do with it please ?
thanks if you can help

OK i did delete everything between the second part of le line strating with “otpauth…” .
this line is now :
“otpUri”: “”
and that’s it

when i logged on the next time on umbrel 2FA was gone and i can put it back … more safely.
thanks all

Hello rambo, i have some trouble once I connect ssh via putty (from pc )
and I have the invite umbrel@umbrel:~$

I tried to paste yours as is:
json_file="/home/umbrel/umbrel/db/user.json" && contents="$(jq ‘del(.otpUri)’ ${json_file})" && echo “${contents}” > ${json_file}

but this is what i do have

-bash: command substitution: line 10: syntax error near unexpected token (' -bash: command substitution: line 10: jq ‘del(.otpUri)’ ${json_file})"’
from there i am stuck – do you have some solution for me ?

Thanks in advance

Hei
I am also contacting Rambo - as I not able to run my umbrel for the A2F prblm

I have been able to go (putty) - enter log (which is: umbrel) & password -
Then I have this invite :
umbrel@umbrel: ~$

But I am kinda stuck from here ! I tried to put

umbrel@umbrel: ~$ json_file="/home/umbrel/umbrel/db/user.json" && contents="$(jq ‘del(.otpUri)’ ${json_file})" && echo “${contents}” > ${json_file}

but this is what i do have :
-bash: command substitution: line 10: syntax error near unexpected token (' -bash: command substitution: line 10: jq ‘del(.otpUri)’ ${json_file})"’

I guess there is a slight error ? or I miss a step ?

Thanks for ur help

Hey Jim - I am getting the exact same error as you. Did you find a resolution? Thanks.

hi well I am sorry for you as This is how it turns for me …
I am not super skilled in TOR & found out that someone who is could potentially turn around via putty

So in my case - I double flashed - re intal - rebuild and lost my channels
(but as auto backed up - I get my sats back - less worse scenario I would say)

I guess depending your skill - and patience … you can have a try

This 2AF is sh*t if you do not have your master key … that I now have :slight_smile:

Good luck to you

If the above steps were confusing for anyone:

1. Download and install putty - https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html
  2. Open putty and type in umbrel.local for the hostname.
  3. Click Open or hit Enter.
  4. Then type umbrel for the username.
  5. Then type your password, it’s same password you use to log in to the Umbrel dashboard.
    ***If you haven’t yet run through the setup process, the password will be set to moneyprintergobrrr.
  6. Then type nano umbrel/db/user.json - This will open the json file for editing.
  7. Using the down arrow, scroll down until you see " “otpUri”: “otpauth://totp/umbrel?secret=blblablabla&period=30&digits=6&algorithm=SHA1&…” - or similar.
  8. Delete the line so it looks like “otpUri”: “”.
  9. Then hit Ctrl-O then Enter to save the file and lastly Ctrl-X to close the file.
  10. Type logout and hit enter to close Putty.
  11. Login to your umbrel normally, be sure to re-enable 2FA after regaining access.

-W

Export you keys from google via the QR codes into another phone, use aegis or authy on the other phone or tablet. You can buy an 8 year old tablet for 50$ that is reasonably secure (Android 5.0 added device encryption).

https://blog.jay2k1.com/2021/11/17/how-to-bulk-migrate-from-google-authenticator-to-aegis/

Since you can store ssh keys on a ledger, has anyone stored their secret key (the initial key) on a hardware wallet?

https://blog.ledger.com/ssh/

Another point, Ledger Nano X supports 2FA via the FIDO app. However, all future Nano X’es are bugged with ledger recover. This could be an opportunity for a hardware hacker out there - a 2fa + bitcoin passphrase combo device.