2FA recovery - lost phone no code

I just set up 2FA two-factor authentication on my umbrel, and I am trying to figure out what happens if I lose access to my google authenticator app.

I’m going to disable my 2FA until I can visualize and dry-run a recovery plan for that day I drop my phone in the river.

The recommended way is to create one-time codes.

You can also backup the initial key but it’s frowned upon since a hacker can get your initial key and set up 2 factor.

I agree one-time codes are great for this situation.

It appears to me that the only option for me today is to accept that if I lose my phone I will need to re-install my umbrel from scratch using bip39 seed words (and this won’t work for restoring lightning channels).

I wonder if reflashing your microsd will reset it

Or maybe use Authy

Channel Backups might help in that case?

Yes channel backups sound right. Thx.

Yep thx reflashing sounds like it would reset it.

I agree one-time codes are great for this situation.

It appears to me that the only option for me today is to accept that if I lose my phone I will need to re-install my umbrel from scratch.

I use 1Password for my 2FA, which means that the 2FA is synched across my devices.

This is a super-important consideration, and I appreciate you bringing it up, @ucomm.

For starters, this simply underscores the need to constantly backup your channels and your seed. Even doing that, though, I also think that having your 2FA codes backed up somewhere – I like @Kirvis’s 1Password approach as well – offers a good mix of security and redundancy.

I’ll try it thx.

yep!

hey would you mind helping me figure out to to reflash my microSD to reset. got a new phone and the 2FA Is gone on my phone (stupid of me) and i need to log in to reset/get rid of 2FA

So this actually happened to me yesterday. I have new phone - forgot to backup the 2FA-stuff from my old phone.

Now I am stuck and can’t log in to my Umbrel. My node is running, and I have direct access to the computer running it (Ubuntu VM).

What can I do - besides a complete reinstall and seed phrase recovery etc?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Stop your Umbrel, remove the microsd, download the new version of Umbrel and flash it using balena etcher . I have never tried removing 2FA this way but worth a try.

Reflash your microsd and use authy next time

Same thing happened to me this week. Did you try the above?

This also happened to me, was trying to figure out the SSH command to wipe 2FA but it has not worked and was wondering if im doing it wrong before reflashing the entire thing

I reflashed the newest version of umbrel and 2FA is still there… was it supposed to go away?

had the same issue. Were you able to resolve?