UmbrelOS - no Umbrel WebUI after apt full-upgrade

Everything was working fine.
I was able to mount a secodary storage for my bittorrent downloads and configure my vpn service system wide.
Today I executed “apt update && apt full-upgrade -y” and after rebooting, UmbrelOS boots up (shows the CLI prompt) but I totally lost access to the Umbrel WebUI.
I checked, for example, that the vpn (NordVPN) is still working so I think all the containers installed and system configurations made are intact.
Anyone already got over this or have any suggestions?
Or have some advise on how to update UmbrelOS without breaking it?
Now I’m starting from zero but it’ll be good to know what to do in the future.
Thanks

I havent messed with it since the new OS came out but previously this would happen if a person didnt shut down the umbrel system first. like all the docker containers.

Im not sure if this is still valid.
I used to shut down umbrel and then do the update.

1 Like

Hey @thunderstorm

It is not recommended to use apt update or apt full-upgrade to attempt to update umbrelOS as updates for the system are managed differently to normal Linux distributions through Mender. This is because your changes would be lost anyway after the next OTA update of umbrelOS.

As for the web interface, can you verify the umbrel service is running by executing:

sudo systemctl status umbrel.service

Following that, can you share the logs from the umbrel service by running:

sudo journalctl -u umbrel.service

If you need any additional help, can you please open a post on the Discord and I’d be happy to talk you through it (unless of course you want to discuss it here, then that’s also fine).

1 Like

I see.
Thank you for your reply.

Before your reply, I ended up installing everything from zero.
But I really appreciate your enlightment on how system updates works in UmbrelOS.

1 Like