The Bitcoin Machine - Blank LCD Since Umbrel OS 1

I am in the same boat as you. Umbrel 1.0 was a pretty big change so you are correct that the scripts will need to be updated to work properly. I’ve managed to get it working somewhat by doing the following.

Run the setup script as instructed. The first error you’ll get is an environment issue. You can bypass that by following the steps listed here . Then you’ll be left with an error about modifying the config.txt file.

Next you’ll have to remove the SD card from TBM (the bitcoin machine) and mount it in another device you can then modify the config.txt file on the BOOT-A volume. You need to add a line at the end of that file that says “dtparam=spi=on” no quotes. Save file, reinsert the SD card into TBM and boot up. You might need to run the LCD setup again, you’ll get the same errors but after a few seconds it should work.

Currently the only screens that function appear to be the DATE/TIME and Storage. Think the others will need to be modified for the changes made in the Umbrel 1.0 update. I might get around to tinkering with this later on but for now at least I have the screen working and not just a plain white display.

2 Likes