"sudo docker exec -it lightning_lnd_1 lncli" throws an error

Hi, I am on version 1.0.4 on Raspbery Pi4. I upgraded from 0.5…>1.0.2>1.0.4
I cannot use LNCLI since the upgrade to 1.0.x
When I try this for instance:

sudo docker exec -it lightning_lnd_1 lncli pendingchannels

I get

OCI runtime exec failed: exec failed: unable to start container process: open /dev/ptmx: no such device: unknown

Same with
sudo docker exec -it bitcoin_bitcoind_1 bitcoin-cli

Apps that I start from the web browser UI work just fine (Bitcoin node, Lightning node…)
Also umbreld via SSH works fine. E.g. umbreld client apps.list.query or umbreld client apps.stop.mutate --appId <app-id> – No problem.

Any fix I should try to make the lncli work? Thank you.

1 Like

Hi @fil thanks for reporting the issue, we’re aware of it and looking into it. It doesn’t appear to be Umbrel specific, we were able to recreate the issue on Pi OS and it doesn’t occur on Umbrel Home. It appears to be some sort of arm Docker bug.

2 Likes

Hi team! Have we discovered the root cause and will this be fixed in 1.0.5?
Thank you.

1 Like

Quick workaround if you don’t need a tty would be to skip -t flag:

docker run -i ubuntu bash

In docker run -it, -i/--interactive means “keep stdin open” and -t/--tty means “tell the container that stdin is a pseudo tty”. The key here is the word “interactive”. If you omit the flag, the container still executes /bin/bash but exits immediately. With the flag, the container executes /bin/bash then patiently waits for your input. That means now you will have bash session inside the container, so you can ls, mkdir, or do any bash command inside the container.

any estimated time for version 1.0.5?