Lightning Channel Back Up File

I have figured out how to get my backup id and the most recent backup file the pops up when i get it in ssh is older then the ones that Email support has sent me, so I dont know if my node was down longer then i thought but i have the file name if that helps, ive tried 4 different backup files so far but i receive the error “Unable to recover channel backup, unable to unpack chan backup: chacha20poly1305: message authentication failed” so i dont think they are the right files. Has anyone else had this problem or a solution? Thank you for any help

@mayank any ideas how to figure out which file i need or is it trial and error

I also have this exact same issue. “Unable to recover channel backup, unable to unpack chan backup: chacha20poly1305: message authentication failed”. Does anyone know how to resolve this one please? It’s really important. I have the backup files, but can’t restore.

It might not be the actual solution but I saw on another community post with the same error message (I need Backup Online - #10 by Piradoxlanieve) they uninstalled and reinstalling the lighting app a few times ( the post says about 10 times, i did it twice and it showed all my backup files availabe to use and there was no error message.

I have the same probelm now as well.

Yes, fixed for me by reinstalling and restarting. Had to try multiple time, it’s very random.

1 Like

Yeah its very random and I knew what cause it hopefully it gets solved

What is the cause of it? Do you think Umbrel will release a fix soon?

This is a complete guess because im not a dev or even work for umbrel so take it with a grain of salt… but from what i understand your backup is encrypted and you need your seed to decrypt it, so with that i think when you lightning node hashs the encryption password to unlock the backupfile its generating something different from the original hash when the backup file was made but thats just a guess because the error message says “unable to unpack chan backup” to me means it cant unlock it

And i have zero clue if/when they will release a patch, Sorry i wish i had more info