Installing UmbrelOS 1.2.1 on 8tb Drive

So I am doing a fresh install of UmbrelOS onto a 8tb drive. When I boot up with the installer, I select to install UmbrelOS on the 8tb drive. After doing the install and rebooting the machine, the storage space only shows 124MB. Below is a df -a of the machine after ssh’ing into it:

umbrel@umbrel:~$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 7.7G 0 7.7G 0% /dev
tmpfs 1.6G 1.9M 1.6G 1% /run
/dev/sda2 9.6G 3.7G 5.5G 41% /
tmpfs 7.8G 0 7.8G 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
/dev/sdb4 119M 6.8M 103M 7% /data
/dev/sdb1 200M 46M 154M 23% /boot/efi
tmpfs 1.6G 0 1.6G 0% /run/user/1000

The machine can see the drive dev, but the OS was installed on sdb1? This makes no sense at all. I can’t even install a single application because it says the Storage only has 124mb left.

Do you run UmbrelOS on a phsyiscal machine or VM? If later, it seems to be a common issue recently.

Only solution so far for me was to boot up GParted and expand the 124MB partition myself.

Its a physical machine - a N200 based mini pc.

Ok so usually this bug can be observed on virtual machines, but apparently it’s also found on phyiscal machines. I found one of the threads where the same behaviour is described:

Afaik @lukechilds has been interested in solving this issue. Maybe you can post your system logs here for him.

edit: here’s another thread:

https://community.umbrel.com/t/after-fresh-install-no-disk-space

Thanks… Umbrel is super buggy which sucks because I would love to run it as my home server.

Yeah I think it’s a long way there, and I would actually recommend using a NAS OS if you want to use a machine as your home server.

hey @necrozma I have been playing with your issue for a little while now, and I had a few questions. It seems like you may not be the only one having this issue, can you tell me a bit more about your configuration? I ran into a similar issue, so I dug into how umbrelOS handles resizing the volume after startup. I’m still working though it on my end at the moment.

How are you installing umbrelOS and what version?
What machine are you targeting? More specifically could you tell me what kind of disk controller you are using?

Finally, any chance you could run an lsblk and share the results? As you can see SDA4 partition is where umbrel stores persistent container data.

Sure:

Installing UmbrelOS 1.2.1 via USB memcard.
I am installing it on a Beelink N100 based machine. I am not sure what kind of disk controller is built into this box.
Below is the output of lsblk:

umbrel@umbrel:~$ lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
sda 8:0 0 476.9G 0 disk
|-sda1 8:1 0 200M 0 part /mnt/root/boot/efi
| /boot/efi
|-sda2 8:2 0 9.8G 0 part
|-sda3 8:3 0 9.8G 0 part
-sda4 8:4 0 457.1G 0 part sdb 8:16 0 7.3T 0 disk |-sdb1 8:17 0 200M 0 part |-sdb2 8:18 0 9.8G 0 part /mnt/root | / |-sdb3 8:19 0 9.8G 0 part -sdb4 8:20 0 7.3T 0 part /mnt/root/var/log
/var/log
/mnt/root/var/lib/systemd/timesync
/var/lib/systemd/timesync
/mnt/root/var/lib/docker
/var/lib/docker
/mnt/root/home
/home
/mnt/root/data
/data

So it turns out, after rebooting the machine a few times the size of the disk is now showing. It took about 2 hours to finally boot as it was stuck on some fs check during boot. Once that cleared the machine booted up and the drive / space was showing.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

I’m glad you got it figured out, I learned that using resize2fs might have been the silver bullet in your case. Dunno, but I believe resize2fs is called during system startup to ensure that this happens.

Thanks and yes I am glad it worked out as well. I can’t remember the exact fs function / binary that was called on boot but it hung for a while and I could hear the external drive doing something. I think if I have to re-built this server again I will just go with a 2tb SSD for speed. It seems to be running fine now though in regards to drive read/write access.

1 Like