Installing #HAOS in Umbrel 2.0

Dutch: (english below)
UmbrelOS draait nu op een test-pc, een Acer met 8 GB RAM, een 128 GB SSD en een 1 TB HDD. SyncThing is geïnstalleerd en het werkt perfect. Nu probeer ik via Machines Home Assistant OS erop te installeren, maar dat is me nog niet gelukt.

Mijn keuze voor HAOS is omdat ik de versie nodig heb waarmee je ook applicaties kunt laden. Dat is alleen mogelijk in het HAOS-besturingssysteem.

Gisteren is het wel gelukt om HAOS via Machines HAOS te installeren. Met haos_generic-x86-64-18.3.img.xz

Daarna met behulp van de chat functie met AI de volgende aanpassingen gemaakt:
bij Instellingen van de aangemaakte virtual machine naar Settings > Poortdoorschakeling > Klik op Toevoegen en zorg dat het als volgt staat ingesteld: Protocol: TCP; Machinerpoort: 10.203.0.2:8123; Umbrelpoort: 40000. Klik op Bewaren. Als ik nu in de adresbalk van de browser in tik: umbrel.local:40000, dan zou ik het dashbord van HomeAssistant moeten komen.

Dat gebeurde niet, dus heeft de AI chat een ticket aangemaakt bij Umbrel. Wacht nu op hun antwoord.

English:
UmbrelOS is currently running on a test PC, an Acer with 8 GB RAM, a 128 GB SSD, and a 1 TB HDD. SyncThing is installed and works perfectly. Now I am trying to install Home Assistant OS on it via Machines, but I haven’t succeeded yet.

My choice of HAOS is because I need the version that allows you to load applications. That is only possible in the HAOS operating system.

Yesterday, however, I did manage to install HAOS via Machines using haos_generic-x86-64-18.3.img.xz.
Afterwards, using the chat function with AI, I made the following adjustments:
in the Settings of the created virtual machine, go to Settings > Port Forwarding > Click Add and ensure it is set as follows: Protocol: TCP; Machine Port: 10.203.0.2:8123; Umbrel Port: 40000. Click Save. If I now type umbrella.local:40000 into the browser’s address bar, I should arrive at the HomeAssistant dashboard.

That didn’t happen, so the AI ​​chat created a ticket with Umbrel. Now waiting for their response.

hey, the port forwarding looks right to me. noticed you wrote “umbrella.local” in the English part though. might just be a typo in the post, but try http://umbrel.local:40000 (http, not https). or use the Acer’s local IP with :40000 at the end.

if neither works, what do you see when you open the VM in Machines? a screenshot of that and the browser error would help. could be that Home Assistant hasn’t finished starting up yet rather than anything wrong with the port forwarding.

It is a typo.

And I have tried the IP:40000

It opens the dashboard of umbrel. If I try it a second time it gives the Error: Beveiligde website niet beschikbaar (Secure website unavailable)

ah, that screenshot helps. your browser has HTTPS-only mode enabled, so it’s trying to use https even though you entered http. try “Doorgaan naar HTTP-website” to allow http for this local page, no need to turn it off everywhere.

also, the address bar in the screenshot shows umbrel.local without :40000. after allowing http, try the full address again: http://umbrel.local:40000

if that still takes you to the Umbrel dashboard, could you share a screenshot of the port forwarding settings and what you see inside the VM in Machines? that should help figure out where it’s going wrong.

What do you mean with: “and what you see inside the VM in Machines?”

ah, thanks. those settings look right, so I’d leave them as they are.

I looked into the image you used. Home Assistant recommends a different image for KVM virtual machines: haos_ova-18.3.qcow2.xz rather than haos_generic-x86-64-18.3.img.xz. it’s still the full HAOS with apps, just packaged for a VM: Linux - Home Assistant

before trying another image though, it’d help to see whether the current one has booted properly. by “inside the VM” I meant its console screen in Machines, rather than the settings window. does it show the Home Assistant welcome screen with an IP address and a ha > prompt, or something else? a screenshot of that would help narrow this down before changing anything.

You mean this one? And you said: “Home Assistant recommends a different image for KVM virtual machines” Does that mean that Umbrel uses KVM for Machines?

yep, that’s the screen, thanks! Machines uses QEMU with KVM acceleration when available. but your screenshot shows HAOS has booted, so I’d leave the image alone.

I think I found why you’re landing on the Umbrel dashboard. your Home Assistant URL has no :8123 on the end, which means it’s using port 80. newer HA installs use that port, and during setup the old 8123 port redirects to it. through the port forward, that drops :40000 from the browser address and sends you back to Umbrel. I checked Home Assistant’s redirect code and reproduced that behaviour.

in the port forwarding settings, change just the machine port from 8123 to 80. keep TCP and Umbrel port 40000, then open http://umbrel.local:40000 again.

sorry, I missed the port change earlier. this looks much more likely than an image problem.

Yes,you did it! Thanks a lot.

I will find a way to tell Umbrel that the ticket the AI assistant made is solved. :wink: