How to uninstall Umbrel?

I would like to permanently remove Umbrel from my server, how do I do that?

Delete the umbrel folder from /home/umbrel

Why you’d do that?

Maybe a wrong installation, who knows. The nice thing is that umbrel keeps everything in one folder. The rest of the requisites (docker engine etc) are just standard parts of OS.
You can even take that umbrel folder and copy it into another system or VM and run the scripts from inside. Done, you have again all your Umbrel running.

1 Like

Thank you for the answers, for information I wanted to remove Umbrella because I installed it on a server that was not performing well enough with little of storage space.

Did the method change? Since 0.5.0, I can delete the umbrel directory and then it’ll reappear within a minute or so. This prevents the install script from being able to reinstall it.

I was able to answer my own question.

Docker still lives on and it needs to be stopped. I ran this to stop docker, then deleted the umbrel folder:

sudo systemctl stop docker
1 Like

thank you, I’m having the same problem as you. I tested it on ubuntu 22.04 but my space is not enough to hold all blocks. So I want to delete it.

Stop all containers on Docker.
docker stop $(docker ps -a -q)

Stop service umbrel
sudo systemctl stop umbrel-startup.service

Disable service umbrel
sudo systemctl disable umbrel-startup.service

Remove service on systemd

cd /etc/systemd/system/
sudo rm umbrel-startup.service

Remove directory umbrel

2 Likes

I DID THAT AND IT WIPED OUT MY COMPUTER.
DO NOT DO IT! MODS, DELETE IT!
My stuff is all backed up, but now i have to do another OS install.

Are you are referring to my commands? my commands are meant to remove the hidden files from the umbrel folder. Because umbrel will not install to a folder unless it is empty. A safer way to remove the hidden files is to install Midnight Commander - apt install mc