Mempool.space not working after upgrade to 0.4.10

The upgrade went well, surprisingly quick. I don’t even think Umbrel restarted?

Only issue (so far) is mempool space is not starting up.

It is showing as “starting” in apps, service is not available in browser, docker is showing “restarting” status and docker “mempool_web_1” logs report:

[emerg] 8#8: host not found in upstream "mempool.space" in /etc/nginx/conf.d/nginx-mempool.conf:49

nginx: [emerg] host not found in upstream "mempool.space" in /etc/nginx/conf.d/nginx-mempool.conf:49

Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

thank you

If you upgrade from an older version, it could be the new version of electrs, that is rebuilding the whole index database.
So I suggest:

• remove mempool app (go to App store, click on edit top right button, remove mempool), just to eliminate any error.
  • wait for electrs until it finish, it could take several hours and even days. You can check the electrs logs through SSH
    cd umbrel
    docker-compose logs electrs
    See if is finished at the last block height and then if the compacting database is done
  • install again mempool once is done

Electrs seems to be up to date:

electrs::index] indexing 1 blocks: [717606..717606]

I will delete/reinstall mempool app.

Thank you for the support DarthCoin

Reinstalling mempool didn’t help, still the same error in mempool_web_1 logs:

[emerg] 8#8: host not found in upstream "mempool.space" in /etc/nginx/conf.d/nginx-mempool.conf:49

nginx: [emerg] host not found in upstream "mempool.space" in /etc/nginx/conf.d/nginx-mempool.conf:49

Ok, so far failing services: mempool, loop, boltz.

It’s been fun investigating this. So far it looks like no network access from docker containers.

Should the docker containers provided by Umbrel be able to access the internet?

What Umbrel configuration allows network access for the docker containers… ip tables?

thank you

Progress… logging into various docker containers I noticed /etc/resolv.conf has a nameserver entry 127.0.0.11.

This entry causes failures to lookup any host names so many services fail.

I logged into the loop container, changed the entry to my local network gate and the service started working.

Where is the “127.0.0.11” entry coming from?
I am running pi-hole app btw.

Resolved:

Turns out 127.0.0.11 is Docker standard for container DNS. The issue was with my Umbrel host.

Some issue with my local DNS resolution. Probably due to my pi-hole installation.

The following workaround resolved all my issues:

In brief, modify the pihole docker-compose.yml from:

---
version: '3.7'
services:
  unbound:
    image: mvance/unbound-rpi:1.13.0
    hostname: unbound
    restart: unless-stopped
    ports:
      - 53:53/udp
      - 53:53/tcp
    volumes: [...]

to

---
version: '3.7'
services:
  unbound:
    image: mvance/unbound-rpi:1.13.0
    hostname: unbound
    restart: unless-stopped
    ports:
      - 192.168.1.30:53:53/udp
      - 192.168.1.30:53:53/tcp
    volumes: [...]

Where 192.168.1.30 is a ip address of the docker host.

see more:

1 Like

Having exactly the same issues! Umbrel 0.4.12

Tried a long time to troubleshoot, but I am not technical enough to understand or delve as deeply as you have.

In any case, uninstalling Pihole solved the connection issues with mempool, loop and blitz. It also fixed a problem I was seeing with autoupdate checking not working. All seemingly connected to Pihole blocking access to these services?

mempool

web_1      | 2022/02/04 15:56:08 [emerg] 7#7: host not found in upstream "mempool.space" in /etc/nginx/conf.d/nginx-mempool.conf:49
web_1      | nginx: [emerg] host not found in upstream "mempool.space" in /etc/nginx/conf.d/nginx-mempool.conf:49