Affine stuck saying "Not running"

I tried installing Affine months ago, and since then, it is stuck at saying, “Not running.” Have updated and restarted Umbrel many times since then.

I cannot open, start, stop, or uninstall Affine. Right-clicking it brings up the same context menu as right-clicking the background. The app restart command at /home/umbrel/umbrel/scripts/ doesn’t work anymore for me to restart an app, as it gives an error stating it needs docker-compose installed.

image image

Anyone know how to do literally anything with this app stuck on “Not running”.

That’s interesting. Can you share an ls -lah umbrel/app-data/affine to start with?

Sure, I get the following.

umbrel@umbrel:~$ ls -lah umbrel/app-data/affine
total 20K
drwxr-xr-x  3 umbrel umbrel 4.0K May 10 12:08 .
drwxrwxr-x 21 umbrel umbrel 4.0K Jul 24 01:15 ..
drwxr-xr-x  4 umbrel umbrel 4.0K May 10 12:08 data
-rw-r--r--  1 umbrel umbrel 2.0K Jul  7 20:11 docker-compose.yml
-rw-r--r--  1 umbrel umbrel 1.3K May 10 12:08 umbrel-app.yml

Okay, can you open umbrel/umbrel.yaml ? This is the configuration file which should reflect installed apps. Don’t share this file

It should look like this

version: 1.2.1
apps:
  - transmission
  - affine         # <--- this should appear in your apps list
appRepositories:
  - https://github.com/getumbrel/umbrel-apps.git

Sorry for the late reply.
Yes! I do have affine in my apps list there.

So I don’t know when Umbrel switched to using the built-in compose, which I think they planned on deprecating those control scripts which is why you are seeing that error. Instead of docker-compose it now should be docker compose

For giggles, because this should be automatic, try

cd umbrel/app-data/affine && docker compose up -d

This should get affine fired up temporarily. I’m not sure what umbrelOS uses as the source of truth for installed ups so it knows what to start up. You might see some container errors here stating it’s already created, you can ignore that as it still should have started.

I wouldn’t be surprised if affine has some sort of startup error and it’s crashing right after startup? Maybe check your affine logs, or just manually run to see precisely whats happening

docker compose logs
1 Like

Thanks, this is useful!

Thankfully recently, Affine had an update, and it then started. I was able to then uninstall it.

Thanks for your help!

1 Like