How to restore your node wallet (updated)

Just leave it to sync few dozens of blocks.
To stop the node, just go to Umbrel dashboard - settings - shut down.
There are also commands.
SSH into node and run
cd umbrel
sudo ./scripts/stop
sudo shutdown

Thank you Darth I got a little excited when I saw this post, prolly wasn’t thinking straight asking that question.

Okay got it.

Current machine:
Raspberry Pi 4 Umbrel installed 214 + channels 15 Btc capacity

1. Backup channel using Umbrel Dashboard
  2. Backup lnd.conf
  3. Copy/Backup wallet.db & channel.db from lnd folder
  4. Copy the blockchain data if files integrity is good

You have to construct the data/… folders yourself and then copying the files to them, before starting up lnd.

1. Now, for this step…
    Question #1: I assume we need to recreate this “/data/chain/bitcoin/mainnet/” and “/data/graph/mainnet/” directory on the new machine correct?
    Question #2: Another question this raises, wouldn’t these directories be created on the new machine upon installing umbrel on there?
    Question #3: Don’t we just replace the copied files from current machine with the new machines wallet.db and channel.db in this case?
  2. Shut down gracefully

New machine:
So I got a Intel Nuc 32 gigs ram, 4 core, 2 tb ssd

1. Install debian on it
  2. Install umbrel
  3. 24 Word seed recovery
  4. Let it sync about 32 blocks
  5. Shut Down gracefully
  6. Replace lnd.conf with (back up copy of current machine)
  7. Replace wallet.db & channel.db with (back up copy of current machine)
  8. Replace blockchain data with the (copy from current machine)
  9. Start the node up and pray to god everything is working

Sorry for all the text I just put a lot of time and effort on the node I don’t wanna f it up. I do understand that things can go wrong, but please view over this when you get a chance and tell me if I got it right.
I’m sure there are going to be many other more that are going to want to upgrade their machines in the near future and this way they have something to go based off of.

Thank you

1 Like

Q1-3: just install a new LND node and start it. Once all the folders are created, stop it and start copying from old drive those 2 db files. Don’t bother with lnd.conf, you can just edit the new created one, is much better just to just adapt old lines in it than replace the whole file.

1 Like

Ahh man life saver this write up came in such a clutch. What is your node id? let me send some inbound your way or tip you or something.

Put your node up and running and we can have a channel then.
In this “Getting Started” guide about Umbrel, at the end is my node id.

Where can I find the correct formating to copy and paste into conf file?

https://www.lightningnode.info/advanced-tools/lnd.conf

can i use blixt to restore my “locked wallet”?

been waiting for replies from mayank but no replies yet since yesterday. i did try lncli unlock but no luck.

yes, but use the backup channels file from umbrel dashboard not from RTL or TH.
I hope you did one before this happen. Don’t use one from this status because it will give you error.
Remember:

• Blixt will close the existing channels and send funds to your onchain wallet
  • do not power on your Umbrel in this process until you get the funds back
    Once is restored, you can start over with a new user data in Umbrel. See the Umbrel Troubleshooting Guide how to reset user data, without deleting the blockchain data
2 Likes

Boss, mayank has finally replied me and helped me fix the problem :laughing::sob:.

And what was the solution?

what was the solution?

some code which i don’t know, i just “copy and paste” a few times and then it’s fixed. you need to contact developer if you have this problem, only they can fix it AFAIK

woahh complete disaster, lnd wouldn’t start up lol good thing I left my current node in tact. I do have watchtowers enabled and I’m a watchtower to a few nodes. I also have wumbo channels enabled do you think these would cause lnd not to start up?

Fixed. Thank you all Mayank helped big time as well.

Sorry but i’m a bit confused.

If Step 1 is:

scp <path/to/your/channel/backup/file> umbrel@umbrel.local:/home/umbrel/umbrel/lnd/channel.backup

then shouldn’t Step 2 be:

cd ~/umbrel && ./bin/lncli restorechanbackup --multi_file /home/umbrel/umbrel/lnd/channel.backup

?
Thanks

I followed this and it actually didn’t work. But it worked fine while node active.

1 Like

Hi Guys, I hope someone can help me. My node crashed and I have now biuld up a complete new node from scratch. I managed to restore my BTC core funds, but still have quite some amount looked in the channels from my old node. Luckely i had created a backup file for my channels. However, I cannot get the command line work as stated in step 1.

The command code used is: scp Users\v_smi\Desktop\New [umbrel@umbrel.local:/home/umbrel/umbrel/lnd/channel.backup]

Outcome of the command after filling my password is no such file or directory. I am not a programmer, or familiar with command codes, so hope someone can help me.